SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Table variable does not take part in Transaction

Table variable does not take part in Transaction

Author
AJ07
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I am a bit confused about the table variables. As transaction does not affect the table variable operations. So is there any way to force table variable to be part of transaction or in such situations we'll have to use temp tables only?

Also when we submit a query having a table variable then the query optimizer always assumes only single row and the statistics are not generated for the table variable so I am curious that why table variables are better option over temp tables (not always)?

Regards,
AJUnsure
Gianluca Sartori
Gianluca Sartori
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Check this great article by Wayne Sheffield:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Temporary+Tables/66720/

--Gianluca Sartori

How to post T-SQL questions
spaghettidba.com
@spaghettidba
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

Variables are not part of a transaction. If you are using a table variable it will not be part of the transaction as there is not a table to log against. This is no different than any other variable type. If you want to be able to rollback changes during an operation you should use a temp table.

so I am curious that why table variables are better option over temp tables (not always)?

As with everything in sql the correct answer is "it depends". In this case a temp table is probably the better choice.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Jason-299789
Jason-299789
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

In my opinion a Table varialbe is great for very small data sets (1 or two columns, and less than 100 rows), any more than that and you should consider a temp table.

Also consider that Table variables actually end up as unindexed tables in the tempdb anyway, as demonstrated below.

Declare @TableVariable Table (DT DateTime Default GetDate() NOT NULL)
Insert Into @TableVariable DefaultValues

WaitFor DELAY '00:00:10'

Create Table #TempTable (DT DateTime Default GetDate() NOT NULL)
Insert Into #TempTable Defauly Values

Select DT as TableVariable From @TableVariable
Select DT as TempTable From @TempTable

Select * from tempdb.sys.objects
Where type='U'
and create_date between DateAdd(minute,-1,GetDate()) and GetDate()
Drop Table #TempTable

Its best to use this on local or development box where the useage is almost non-existant.

SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

AJ-636201 (2/25/2011)
Hi,

I am a bit confused about the table variables. As transaction does not affect the table variable operations. So is there any way to force table variable to be part of transaction or in such situations we'll have to use temp tables only?

Also when we submit a query having a table variable then the query optimizer always assumes only single row and the statistics are not generated for the table variable so I am curious that why table variables are better option over temp tables (not always)?

Regards,
AJUnsure

I was thinking that I had read a good article about this topic not long ago. Smile

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Gianluca Sartori
Gianluca Sartori
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Sean Lange (2/25/2011)
...there is not a table to log against. This is no different than any other variable type.

Not true: operations on table variables are logged, but don't participate in transcations.

Jason-299789 (2/25/2011)
Also consider that Table variables actually end up as unindexed tables in the tempdb anyway...

Not true: add a primary key or unique costraint and you can add indexes to a table variable.

Here's a great post by Gail Shaw on both myths: http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/10/12/a-trio-of-table-variables/

--Gianluca Sartori

How to post T-SQL questions
spaghettidba.com
@spaghettidba
Jason-299789
Jason-299789
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Gianluca Sartori (2/25/2011)
Sean Lange (2/25/2011)
...there is not a table to log against. This is no different than any other variable type.

Not true: operations on table variables are logged, but don't participate in transcations.

Jason-299789 (2/25/2011)
Also consider that Table variables actually end up as unindexed tables in the tempdb anyway...

Not true: add a primary key or unique costraint and you can add indexes to a table variable.

Here's a great post by Gail Shaw on both myths: http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/10/12/a-trio-of-table-variables/

I stand corrected on that point, I was pulled up by a senior on a code review several years ago when he caught me using table variables, and he insisted I revisit all my code and change the table variables to Temp tables.

ps : thanks for the link, its a good article.

Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

My 5 cents is always use a temp table. It behaves more like a real table than a table variable does.

Carlton.
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC-Forever

Carlton Leach (2/25/2011)
My 5 cents is always use a temp table. It behaves more like a real table than a table variable does.

Carlton.

There are perfectly valid reasons to use a table variable instead of a temp table. One thing about sql that never changes is that the word "always" is never 100% accurate. Read the first article referenced and you can see clearly that in some situations a variable would be preferred over a temp table and vice versa.

Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC-Forever

Gianluca Sartori (2/25/2011)
Sean Lange (2/25/2011)

Ah yes. I guess I wasn't really thinking about if the changes were actually in the log or not since the end result is that it is not in the transaction. Would only make sense that any data changes would have to be logged. I guess I was trying to over simplify it in my head.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.