SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Coding With Music

Coding With Music

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Coding With Music

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
dhamilton-905368
dhamilton-905368
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
In corporate environments, for me, I wasn't allowed to enjoy much in the way of headphone music -- I was mostly a firefighter, and scolded when I ignored things...

Now that I'm more independant, I LOVE to rock out to some classic Mellencamp or other 70's/80's rock (please check out John Mellencamp's next to latest release -- "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" It truly effected me and others he had no sway on!).

Anyway, at this point, though I'm closed into a room in my house, I could get a call at any time (other than [mostly] this hour) and have to work with so many other people that music is generally not on the agenda.

However, thanks to this post, and the lateness of the hour, I'm going to rock to LDLF once more. I truly can't get enough of that stuff.

Sounds like a "bot" posting, but I promise you, I'm a long-time lurker/subscriber, that was just inspired to post, as I am once every few months.

To add to this, there are some other great 70's/80's groups/songs out there that really get my blood flowing and get me "creating" code quickly. Mr. Mellencamp is just first on my list.
Michael Valentine Jones
Michael Valentine Jones
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

I prefer not to have music playing when I work, because it tends to get me working at the pace of the music, and not the pace I should be working at.

If it helps other people work better, that's fine with me, but I don't want to listen to their music while I work.
WayneS
WayneS
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

I like to have background classic rock playing softly as white noise.

Occasionally, I'll use classical or upbeat jazz.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)

90% of the time I have to have some sort of structured noise. Occasionally that is distracting and I choose silence to bust out of a problem funk that I may be experiencing.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Andrew Jackson
Andrew Jackson
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

I prefer silence. I find music distracting.
Carol Marie Green
Carol Marie Green
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

I find music really helps blot out the distractions of working in an open plan office, although music with words doesn't work so well. The best music I have found is jazz-based drum and bass - it chivvies you along nicely and seems to occupy the part of the brain that might wander off or be distracted by conversations...
chris.stuart
chris.stuart
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

If i need to do some serious coding, I put on the headphones and some nive heavy metal or something similar.
I'm in a open plan office and there can be a lot off noise in the office and therefore I need to have some white noise to cancell the effects
QmunkE
QmunkE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

My MP3 player died earlier this week and I'm finding it so hard to concentrate without it! I tend to listen for a burst, then turn it off for a bit, then a burst, throughout the day.
paul.knibbs
paul.knibbs
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

If I'm "in the zone" and really concentrating on something I prefer absolute silence. Music just becomes a distraction, and I really don't like the phone ringing or people talking to me when I'm like that. (I even sometimes find the music stings in Minecraft annoying for the same reason :-D).
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.