Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

2005 IR Salary Survey Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:38 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/2005irsalarysurvey.asp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #183449
Posted Monday, May 23, 2005 11:33 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 2, 2005 2:24 AM

Simular trends in Australia. Good article and very good advice. Work in a smaller company, enjoy your job and your co-workers, and remember that life is short.

Post #184704
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005 3:01 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:52 AM

Interesting to note Steve's opinion that a senior SQL DBA should be on 90000USD.

XE.com tells me that, at today's prices, that is 49182GBP. Based on what I know about the UK job market I would say that that is the minimum a Senor SQL DBA worth their salt should expect. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I should state the caveat that I live and work in London and salaries here are generally higher than the rest of the country (an issue that you don't want to get me started on) so perhaps my opinion is "tainted" by this.

Interesting article anyway, thanks Steve.

Jamie Thomson
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson
Post #184749
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005 3:11 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:55 AM

Nice article. Thanks for sharing that information. I particularly liked the conclusion.

What I hear I forget, what I see I remember, what I do I understand
Post #184753
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005 4:25 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:49 PM

Great article Steve.

I agree with nileshsane - the conclusion rocks!

I would add it's possible to work for a large corporation and still enjoy the benefits of a close-knit, entrepreneurial-like team. It all depends upon management.

Andy

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #184765
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:09 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:46 AM
Something important to note about government-published unemployment rates is that those numbers do not include people that have given up. Not to dredge up the work visa thing but there are many areas that have been hit pretty hard with cheap visa labor and these job markets are just not hiring. Were the unemployment rates that IW published from their own study?

Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD
Business Intelligence Administrator
MSBI Administration Blog
Post #184801
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:10 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:25 AM
Great article (as usual) Steve - a few things that caught my attention were:

1)"...those with certifications made 7-19% more on average.." - hmmm! It'd be good to get some real numbers on that kind of survey and verify the truth behind it...may help dawdlers like me sitting on the fence about certification !!!

2) "Range by metro area were about what I expected with a surprise. SF, DC, NY at the top, but Denver was above LA. Atlanta and Phoenix and Florida were absent, a few areas that I expected to see. Minneapolis was included at the bottom, which seemed like the best bargain. If you like cold weather."...

Steve - what do you mean when you say that Minneapolis seems like the best bargain when it was "included at the bottom"...is it because living expenses are cheaper there ????

3) "rookies tended to make about the same as veterans on average. Now that doesn't seem right unless they are counting rookies as people new to the company. Lots of job changes in the last year have some highly paid, highly experienced "rookies" at new companies."...I do know of rookie rookies who make almost as much as the experienced rookies...yes, it's not right but it happens a lot!!!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Post #184802
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:11 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:25 AM
Oh yes - and that last bit about "Work in a smaller company, enjoy your job and your co-workers, and remember that life is short." - think that touched a chord in all of us...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Post #184803
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:19 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, March 14, 2011 7:37 AM

Jamie,

Out of curiousity, can you tell me what portion of the 49182GBP would be left after income taxes (or do you not have any taxes withheld in the UK?).

-Steve

Post #184806
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:30 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:52 AM

Steve,

Err....I'm more one of these people that accepts their pay packet rather than analyses it but...

According to 1 reputable source:

• 10 per cent on taxable income up to £2,090
  • 22 per cent on taxable income between £2,091 and £32,400
  • 40 per cent on taxable income over £32,401
  • That includes National insurance contributions.

By my reckoning that would leave you with a take-home of about 35801GBP from a salary of  49182GBP!!

Jamie Thomson
    http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson
    Post #184815
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse