Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

NEWSEQUENTIALID() Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:24 PM

currently our database uses quite a feq guid's with a default value of newid(), I would like to change the default value in management studio for our guids to NEWSEQUENTIALID().  When I try and do this I get an error "error validating default value for column".  

Post #275248
Posted Friday, April 28, 2006 8:00 AM
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
No one has responded to this topic yet. Even if you don't have a complete answer, the original poster will appreciate any thoughts you have!
Post #276216
Posted Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:56 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 1:51 AM

I just came across this one myself. I imagine that by now you already have a solution, but I'm posting for the benefit of the next person to come across it. You can safely ignore the error. When you get the error dialog, you choose "No". When you try and save the table, you'll get a pre-save validation warning (and you choose Yes to indicate you want to attempt to save). Or you can always use ALTER TABLE.

---------------------------
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
Error validating the default for column 'NameGuid'.

Do you want to cancel your changes ?

Yes No Help

Post #283731
Posted Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:04 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 9:16 AM
Katie, are you making the change because page splitting is an issue with newid, or just like the newer behavior better?

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #284105
Posted Thursday, June 1, 2006 9:15 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:24 PM
It is the PK on some of our tables and causing lots of fragmentation. Thought this would ease some of that fragmentation by having newsequential() for all inserts. So yes page splitting
Post #284256
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse