Tim Mitchell

Tim Mitchell is a business intelligence consultant, author, trainer, and SQL Server MVP with over a decade of experience. Tim is the principal of Tyleris Data Solutions and is a Linchpin People teammate. Tim has spoken at international, regional, and local venues including the SQL PASS Summit, SQLBits, SQL Connections, SQL Saturday events, and various user groups and webcasts. He is a board member at the North Texas SQL Server User Group in the Dallas area. Tim is coauthor of the book SSIS Design Patterns, and is a contributing author on MVP Deep Dives 2. You can visit his website and blog at TimMitchell.net or follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/Tim_Mitchell.

SpeakerRate – Need Your Feedback

Everybody loves a compliment.  Not everyone enjoys criticism, even if it’s constructive and politely delivered, but the fact is that it’s difficult to get better at what you do without periodic evaluations of your performances.

It’s only been a few years since I committed to start speaking publicly to share my knowledge and improve my public speaking skills.  I’ve learned a lot about creating and delivering presentations, but I’d like to get better, and it’s continual feedback that helps me do that.  To assist in this process, I’ve created a profile at SpeakerRate.com, a relatively new website that allows presentation attendees to rate the presenter and leave some brief comments.  Once you’ve registered on the site as a presentation attendee, you can rate and comment on sessions which you’ve attended.  I created an entry for each of the six talks I’ve done this year, and if you’ve attended any of these, I’d appreciate your feedback and comments.

If you’re a speaker, I recommend registering on the site.  Sure, you’ve got to have thick skin to expose yourself to this kind of judgment, but if you’re speaking in public you’re doing that anyway, right?  If you do register and you’ve seen me in one of your talks, let me know and I’ll be happy to share my notes.

Comments

Posted by Steve Jones on 8 September 2009

I like the idea, but I don't really like registering there just to leave a comment. I think that will result in most people not bothering to do this.

Posted by Tim Mitchell on 8 September 2009

I suspect there are many who will agree with you, but I can understand why registration would be required.  Since each review contributes a small part to the presenter's professional reputation, it's probably best to disallow anonymous "drive-by" comments.

Posted by Steve Jones on 8 September 2009

That's a good point. I'd like to see SQLSaturday or PASS do this as well.

Posted by Jack Corbett on 8 September 2009

I also dislike the fact that I need to register to leave a comment.  That being said I will probably register just so I can be rated.

SpeakerRate has been discussed in the Orlando SQLSaturday meetings.  Obviously registration is an issue there as is the concern that people won't go there after the event or will forget to.

Posted by jcrawf02 on 8 September 2009

What if I didn't attend the event? I can still leave a comment? So if for some reason I wanted to disparage someone's reputation I could post negatively? Do you have to approve first, or is it automatically added? Can you add a confirmation number that you give out at the event? (I know, another barrier, but if they're going to register, they'd probably be willing to enter a code)

Posted by Tim Mitchell on 8 September 2009

Good point, I had considered the confirmation number possibility but it's definitely a barrier.  Chances are that you're not going to write down a confirmation number during the session, unless you feel very strongly about submitting feedback.  This is an interesting debate - I feel another blog post coming on just to discuss the logistics of feedback.