2 years ago I posted “16 papers and original articles on Big Data” It’s now time to review and extend my original list.
“Big Data” reached its Peak in 2012, according to the Gartner and based on their Hype Cycle. This is what skeptics are saying:
- “Correlation is…
The Big Data revolution will be more important than the PC or the Internet. While there were many interesting conversations last week at Strata, two new publications captured my attention:
- “The evolution of data products” by Mike Loukides describes our final destination as <Disappearing data>. A world where the…
|http://bit.ly/BigData1||We face a data management problem: IDC 2010 Digital Unverse Study|
|http://bit.ly/BigData2||First reference to “Big Data” I found on the web, on Nature 455|
|http://bit.ly/BigData3||In 2008, “Parallel programming in the…|
I searched the internet for “connect and forget”. Wonderbox.net offer is described as a “revolutionary computer server”… I think of wonderbox as a “computing appliance”, but Wikipedia limits the definition to storage and network only. The endpoints are better defined: The PC continues being the most productive… Read more
10 years ago IT professionals considered database technology “mature” and analysts were preparing to slide it into a commodity status… But on the Exabyte era, we depend on databases to run packaged applications, custom solutions, end customer data storage and the web itself.
- Managing hundreds of TBs continues a challenge…
“The information age is an idea that the current era will be characterized by the ability of individuals to transfer information freely, and to have instant access to knowledge that would have been very difficult or impossible to find previously” Wikipedia.
Computer miniaturization advances plus the internet reaching a critical… Read more
“Content is king” is the golden rule of the SEO. The semantic web is all about data. Any web or traditional application has no value without data. Few people have discussed the future of Data, Pat Halland being one of the most prolific ones. Data is and will be everything: Read more
Microsoft is associated almost exclusively with Windows and Office. Unfortunately a lot more innovation areas are not well known… Is Microsoft losing the cloud apps?
Let me share with you the perspective that I have as owner of the Microsoft Cloud initiative for Latin America:
- On March 4, 2010 Steve…
I just finished reading “The next wave of technologies” by Phil Simon. A great read! It proposes a new Enterprise 2.0 - not related to earlier Web 2.0 related definitions: IT organizations will adopt several new technologies.
- Cloud computing. No need to provide more details on this…
The 2008 trending topic everyone was talking about was the Web 2.0. On October 23 that same year, Amazon EC2 dropped the Beta label and the story accelerated:
- Less than 4 months after commercial availability of elastic computing there were over 22 definitions for Cloud computing. Today, there…
The 12th Annual Emerging Technologies Update Day @ Wharton was very helpful on helping us not forget how IT is evolving longer term:
- Microprocessor. Workloads that required 200 servers 5 years ago can now be executed with only on 13 servers. An increase of 15X computing power on the…
How is Social Media evolving on emerging countries? What countries are leading and how they compare between them? It’s common to find basic benchmarking on the web: total number of facebook users, twitter activity and other. But research on new technologies is always limited on emerging countries.
Let me propose… Read more
Social Media provides at the end of the year more than enough materials similar to “best of the year”, “top 10 mistakes”, "10 reasons” and other lists. In fact, I liked two more than any others and can also recommend a third one on the decade that ends in 2010: Read more
There are Six main conversations taking place now:
- Low cost computing in the enterprise. Maximize the efficiency of your IT (Server management, Desktop Management), Use technology to lower the cost of business (UC), Take advantage of technology delivery information.
- Business Insights. Solve the main two problems that BI…
- Productivity. Three years ago Microsoft Office was going to be killed by the browser. Today, startups are…
I just realized that blogs will soon be obsolete artifacts. Let me explain why:
- For over 10 thousand years “writing, painting and talking” have been the most basic communication tools we use to describe our lives. In the early computing days storage was very limited; I remember tools like…
Vote for your favorites before September 4. Register on SXSW panel picker before jumping to the links. There are over 2200 proposed panels. My selection:
- Come to my cloud: Supporting half a million visitors from day one.
- Social Media Interop: Emerging standards for portable contacts and life streaming…
The world has changed, but does this means that customers have eliminated all critical IT projects? Quite the opposite. 18 opportunity areas and why databases continue to be big winners:
a) Reducing Cost. Some organizations cut IT up to 50% while expecting to keep their service levels. Five main… Read more
As we evolve to a hybrid of internal and external IT Services, companies on developed markets have invested significantly on infrastructure, so they are not rushing to outsource operations.
Emerging markets have lower data center investments…Are they more fit to consume cloud services? Can we use the same tactics to… Read more
The Microsoft Disaster Response is an internal group that assists governments and organizations on global emergencies. The Mexican subsidiary and community volunteers are now working on developing emergency support systems for the Influenza A(H1N1) and H1N1, including:
- RSS, e-Mail, SMS delivery to the three screens. Notifications on the PC,…