Monday morning and it’s time for weekly round-up. If you follow me on twitter (@StrateSQL), you’ll know that throughout the day I tweet out some links of things I find interesting. While these links aren’t the answer to life, the universe, and everything, they do share a few things about SQL Server and other topics that people that follow me may find useful.
The links included in this summary are those prefixed with ”Reading” and are items I’ve read over the past few days, usually after hours when sharing would be less than useful, and spaced out to avoid spamming. The content of the links usually pertain to SQL Server, technology, and career topics; which I think others would find useful.
The Nearly Most Popular Link
We’re going to skip over the top three most popular links, they are listed in the Other Stuff section.
Let’s be honest, a Miley Cyrus GIF shouldn’t be the top link. The fourth item will become our nearly most popular link for the week; which discusses the problem with Microsoft supporting three operating system platforms. Based on the article, Windows RT is on the outs and that’s probably a good thing. With three operating systems, that’s three versions of applications that need to be supported and chances that applications will be designed for one or two of the possible operating systems and maybe not the third. Compatibility between the PC, tablet, and phone is important and reducing the friction between the platforms can help adoption. Hopefully this happens, it should be helpful overall.
"Microsoft ready to kill Windows RT" http://t.co/ON4mhbrRW1
— Jason Strate (@StrateSQL) November 29, 2013
Last week’s top 20 “Reading” Links
Along with the top link, here are the top twenty items relating to SQL Server, technology and careers that were sent out last week. If you missed them throughout the week, here’s the opportunity to get caught up on some items that other’s read after I linked them out.
- Microsoft ready to kill Windows RT [51 clicks]
- SQL Query Formatting – Putting Lipstick On A Pig [37 clicks]
- How To Be The Best Public Speaker on the Planet Altucher Confidential [36 clicks]
- SQL PFE PASS Content Now Available! [30 clicks]
- DBA Myths: You can’t use an alias in a DELETE statement [23 clicks]
- Whitepaper: Plan Caching and Recompilations in SQL Server 2012 [21 clicks]
- Forcing a Parallel Query Execution Plan [21 clicks]
- This Man Cooking Nachos Will Make You More Emotional Than You’d Expect [21 clicks]
- “You’ve got access, but I’m not sure why” [20 clicks]
- Powershell: Format array elements for SQL queries [14 clicks]
- Storage Performance [13 clicks]
- SSAS Lessons Learned: 29% Better Compression and 11% Better Query Performance [13 clicks]
- Next-Level Parallel Plan Forcing: An Alternative to 8649 [10 clicks]
- The Dangers of Detach [9 clicks]
- Enable TDE when Replication is in use [9 clicks]
- How To Avoid Butchering Your Windows Azure SQL Database Designs [9 clicks]
- SQLCAT.Com – eBook Downloads [7 clicks]
- Focus on Fast Track : Understanding the –E Startup Parameter [7 clicks]
- Cumulative Update 2 to the RML Utilities for Microsoft SQL Server Released [7 clicks]
- How to Limit IO Requests with SQL Server 2014 Resource Governor [6 clicks]
Other Stuff Shared
Of course, no week would be complete without a few off-topic links. These have nothing to do with technology or your career, but they are interesting and worth a second look.
- Let This GIF Of Miley Cyrus The Turkey Haunt Your Thanksgiving Dreams [68 clicks]
- Portland Teacher Admonished For Racist Peanut Butter Sandwich Example [54 clicks]
- Teacher Fired For Giving Extremely Morbid, Traumatizing Math Problems To D.C. Third Graders [52 clicks]
- How to Totally Freak People Out Simply With the Info They Share in Social Media [41 clicks]
- One Woman’s Dangerous War Against the Most Hated Man on the Internet [35 clicks]
- The Best Viewing Order for a Star Wars Marathon [21 clicks]
- Xbox One vs. PS4: A Guide to Making the Toughest Gaming Decision in Years [19 clicks]
- For 20 Years the Nuclear Launch Code at US Minuteman Silos Was 00000000 [15 clicks]
- #Retro Empire Strikes Back Poster #starwars [12 clicks]
- The Whisky Advent Calendar [12 clicks]
- 8 Movie Marathons on TV To Fill Your Thanksgiving Weekend [9 clicks]
- Watch This Chain of Beads Dash Across the Room All On Its Own [8 clicks]
- How to Nail a Group Presentation [7 clicks]
- The Weakest Link Doctor Who Special [7 clicks]
- The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot [7 clicks]
- T8 3D Printed Octoped Robot – Spider Salsa Rumba! Halloween 2013 [7 clicks]
- Whoa, What Makes This Chain of Beads Magically Float? [7 clicks]
- The Beatles Complete On Ukulele [6 clicks]
- How John Barrowman found out he was the Face of Boe [5 clicks]
- What If The Wii U Launched This Month? – Forbes [5 clicks]
Got something you think I should read and share, leave a comment below. Also, if you want to see all of the links that were tweeted out last week? Then follow the links on my tumblr blog or subscribe to it’s RSS feed.