It’s Monday, it’s time for weekly round-up #46. As an introduction, if you follow me on twitter (@StrateSQL), you’ll know that throughout the day I tweet out some links of things I find interesting. While these links aren’t the answer to life, the universe, and everything, they do share a few things about SQL Server and other topics that people that follow me may find useful.
The links included in this summary are those prefixed with ”Reading” and are items I’ve read over the past few days, usually after hours when sharing would be less than useful, and spaced out to avoid spamming. The content of the links usually pertain to SQL Server, technology, and career topics; which I think others would find useful.
Most Popular Link
The most popular link last week was one that I cam across, that has to do with the views of a ‘straight male gamer’. Basically, he wants games that more caters to himself and his demographic. The BioWare exec does a great job putting him in his place. It’s worth a read…
“Straight Male Gamer” told to ‘get over it’ by BioWare http://t.co/3UxfHS6v4U
— Jason Strate (@StrateSQL) August 19, 2013
Last week’s top 20 “Reading” Links
Along with the top link, here are the top twenty items relating to SQL Server, technology and careers that were sent out last week. If you missed them throughout the week, here’s the opportunity to get caught up on some items that other’s read after I linked them out.
- Top 10 SQL Server Resource Websites | Fun Analytics [23 clicks]
- 10 Things Extraordinary People Say Every Day [23 clicks]
- Another argument for stored procedures [22 clicks]
- How to Tell if TempDB Is a Performance Problem [21 clicks]
- How are GUIDs sorted by SQL Server? [19 clicks]
- One Interview question. Many Answers [18 clicks]
- The Worry That You’re Doing the Wrong Thing Right Now [18 clicks]
- My Thoughts about SQL Server 2014 [16 clicks]
- T-SQL Tuesday #43 Table Scan in action! [16 clicks]
- Indexes with excessive writes [15 clicks]
- SQL Server Space Allocation [13 clicks]
- 6 Qualities of Remarkably Loyal Employees [13 clicks]
- Finding what queries in the plan cache use a specific index [11 clicks]
- Ghost record cleanup task [9 clicks]
- SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn Availability Groups setup scripts – Part 1 [8 clicks]
- The Sch-M lock is Evil [8 clicks]
- Transaction dependencies and speculative reads with memory-optimized tables [7 clicks]
- Encrypting and Decrypting SQL Server Stored Procedures, Views and User-Defined Functions [7 clicks]
- Visual Business Intelligence [6 clicks]
- Methods for Building Employee Loyalty [6 clicks]
Other Stuff Shared
Of course, no week would be complete without a few off-topic links. These have nothing to do with technology or your career, but they are interesting and worth a second look.
- ‘Straight Male Gamer’ told to ‘get over it’ by BioWare [35 clicks]
- Florida teen Kaitlyn Hunt sent back to jail over explicit texts, images [35 clicks] - a bit disturbing.
- ‘Tesla’s CEO Feared Microsoft Would Make His Car Racist And Slow [23 clicks] -
- Man Asks For Weed Delivery on Twitter, Gets Fired [19 clicks]
- 10 Mind-Blowing Doctor Who Theories [15 clicks]
- Why Everyone Is Pissed Off About Google Chrome’s Sound Security | Threat Level [10 clicks]
- The Forgotten Cold War Plan That Put a Ring of Copper Around the Earth [9 clicks]
- Watch Videos Go Viral on Twitter [9 clicks]
- How to Travel: 21 Contrarian Rules 186 Comments [8 clicks]
- Public Enemy & Anthrax – Bring the noise [2 clicks]
Got something you think I should read and share, leave a comment below. Also, if you want to see all of the links that were tweeted out last week? Then follow the links on my tumblr blog or subscribe to it’s RSS feed.