http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/stratesql/2012/11/08/pass-summit-day-one/ Printed 2017/05/26 08:36PM
PASS Summit – Day One
Thought I would put up a quick post to summarize day one of regular sessions at the PASS Summit. It was a fairly busy day and it flew by. Some of the highlights for me were:
- Announcements in the keynote; these included project hekaton, updatable columnstore, and PolyBase. Some great enancements that continue to show Microsoft’s committment to both transactional and data warehousing solutions.
- SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 was released during the keynote.
- Couldn’t attend Bob Ward’s session because it was at capacity.
- Presented on extended events; which I was told also reached capacity. The sessions was great and only had a couple hitches. The scripts and deck can be downloaded here:Extended Events - Work Smarter, Not Harder - PASS Summit 2012
- Visited the Apress booth for a book siging on my book: Expert Performance Indexing for SQL Server 2012.
- Attended the exhibition hall reception. Great turnout of people at the Pragmatic Works booth. Apparently, giving out a couple hundred books and wrist bands for a party is a big hit.
- Pragmatic Works with Microsoft and HP hosted a SQL Karaoke party at Hard Rock Cafe. There were probably 600 people that showed up and rocked the house. Not sure what people enjoyed more the dancing, singing, or animal masks.
- Idera and Denny Cherry hosted another SQL Karaoke party at Bush Gardens, the traditional karaoke hangout. The crowd was definitely in the house – the whole build was rocking – you could even feel the floor bouncing with the crowd.
That’s about it for the highlights. People sure look wore out today – it’s a good thing that things are just getting going.
- PASS Summit First Sessions Tomorrow
- 1-Week to PASS Summit 2010 – After Hours
- PASS 2012 Countdown – 0 Weeks to Go!