It’s been almost a month since I started the Standing Desk experiment. My first setup was down in the basement, since that was the desk that fit my monitor stand. In the middle I had a week of vacation, where I didn’t do much standing at the desk, though I did have my laptop on the old desk.
This was the setup upstairs
That has now been replaced with this:
I spent a portion of the Fourth of July holiday moving my old desk downstairs, and then bringing the smaller one up stairs, setting up all the monitors again. A cleaned things up and minimized the setup, and learned a few things.
First, put the bigger, nicer monitors on top. I had them reversed in the basement, which wasn’t great. The smaller ones have less stuff on them, which isn’t great when I primarily use the top two for work (browsing, editing, email).
As you can see, the setup isn’t a lot different, but I did move a few of the podcast items off and I have a touch more space.
It’s also better to have the start bar on the top screen for me. I can more easily see the programs running without leaning over. Plus it’s cool to see the programs shoot out from the bottom and maximize.
In the last few weeks I’ve also learned the shoes matter. At first I thought it was because of the basement floor, but I found that the padding helps. I’ll look around for floor mats to help up here and see if that makes a difference.
The books and boxes work, but they aren’t great, and I’d like more of a surface at keyboard level for my coffee, water, etc. Whether I build or buy something is up for debate. I’d like to build something, but it’s time. I’m pressed a bit and if I can find something cheap, I might grab it.
Plus this gives me an excuse to hit the new IKEA store in Denver