The Voice of the DBA

Steve Jones is the editor of SQLServerCentral.com and visits a wide variety of data related topics in his daily editorial. Steve has spent years working as a DBA and general purpose Windows administrator, primarily working with SQL Server since it was ported from Sybase in 1990. You can follow Steve on Twitter at twitter.com/way0utwest

T Minus Three Days to the MCM Test

I take the MCM test on Friday. I’ve been watching videos and reading white papers and blogs for the last few weeks and I know that I don’t necessarily know enough. To some extent I have an advantage since I test well on multiple choice tests and I have a broad set of knowledge for SQL Server.

rockholesBut I don’t know enough. The more I study, the more it becomes painfully clear how much more there is to SQL Server that I don’t understand. Each day I learn something new, but I also learn that there are things I wasn’t aware of

Often, I find that things I just learned are things that friends already know. The thing that gives me some hope is that they will learn something and tell me, not realizing I already know about it.

We all have these uneven holes of knowledge, and just because we do, or don’t, know about feature X, doesn’t mean that we don’t know a lot about feature Y. We have un-evenly learned SQL Server since there isn’t a set path on which to learn.

So I’m nervous, just because it’s a measure of my skill, not because it matters to my career. It will give me a benchmark, and a place from which I can make a plan for how much more I want to learn about SQL Server, and in which areas to work.

Filed under: Blog Tagged: mcm, syndicated

Comments

Posted by MEGANATHAN K on 22 February 2011

All the best! Please share your experience once you take the exam.

Posted by Jason Brimhall on 22 February 2011

Good luck - are you getting nervous?

Posted by Steve Jones on 22 February 2011

Definitely nervous. Not expecting to pass, but will give it my all.

Posted by David Benoit on 22 February 2011

It's funny how we have these silo's of SQL Server knowledge. I find that every time I go someplace new I find that I really didn't know all that much about SQL Server. Hopefully as the days go by we learn more about the other parts and still somehow retain what we learned before and maybe, just maybe we'll be able to take a test like the MCM and pass.

I know you have been around a long time Steve so I'm sure you will give it a good go! Enjoy!

Posted by John Sansom on 23 February 2011

Nerves are good thing if you ask me. They will keep you sharp and focused.

Interestingly I think it's sometimes easy for us Data Professionals to underestimate just how much we actually do know. In our always online world, it's easy to fall into the trap of comparing our own individual knowledge against the knowledge of the "collective".

I'm certain that you know a great deal more than you realise my friend. Good luck!

Posted by Dukagjin Maloku on 23 February 2011

Good luck! - Wish you lot of success!!!

Posted by Glenn Berry on 23 February 2011

Good luck Steve. Whether you pass or not, studying for the exam is a good thing.

Posted by petertrast on 23 February 2011

I just started reading the required reading list for MCM. What a great collection of SQL knowledge!!! Even if I don't get to take the MCM, I will learn alot of stuff that I was unaware of. I highly recommend the reading list for ALL DBA's as required reading. Here is the pdf: dynamicevents.emeetingsonline.com/.../MCM_SQL2008_Pre-reading_v3.pdf

I have only checked 3 items off of the 4 page list and my head is exploding already. But as Guy Kawasaki says, it is better to read alot and understand most of that than to read only a little and understand it perfectly. An overview of more topics definitely clarifies the SQL picture better than understanding one topic at a 400 level. Maybe I am wrong but that is my approach based on other successful people.

Best of luck Steve! My boss, Mitch Roberson, just got his Exchange 2010 MCM so I am feeling pretty motivated. Can't wait to hear whatever you can share about it when you are done!

Posted by skrilla99 on 24 February 2011