The Voice of the DBA

Steve Jones is the editor of SQLServerCentral.com and visits a wide variety of data related topics in his daily editorial. Steve has spent years working as a DBA and general purpose Windows administrator, primarily working with SQL Server since it was ported from Sybase in 1990. You can follow Steve on Twitter at twitter.com/way0utwest

MVP 2011

Microsoft_MVP_logo I was awarded the MVP status from Microsoft for 2011 on Jan 1, 2011. This is my fourth consecutive award and I am honored to be recognized for my efforts in the SQL Server community.
When I opened the email last Saturday morning, I had mixed feelings. On one hand I think I deserve the award for my efforts in the community in speaking, writing, and promoting SQL Server. I think I do a lot, and while it’s my job, it’s also a bit of a passion for me.
On the other hand, I always think “what was Microsoft thinking” when I consider the deep technical knowledge that so many of the MVPs display. I know a lot about SQL Server, but it’s in a fairly shallow, general knowledge area, though I do have a lot of experience in the past. I don’t do any earth-shaking work, and I certainly don’t impress many of the experts in various areas of SQL Server work. So in some sense I didn’t really contribute a lot to the growth of the knowledge base of SQL Server in 2010.
The award, however, is very much a community award, and it is for the contributions in sharing knowledge and helping others work with SQL Server. Without the award, I wouldn’t do anything different. This doesn’t drive me, and if I lose it, it won’t change the way I approach the community.

Comments

Posted by Gethyn Ellis on 3 January 2011

Congratulations Steve, well deserved.

Posted by Roy Ernest on 3 January 2011

Ah Steve, Why am I not surprised that you got your MVP Status renewed. :-) Congrats to you.. :-)

Posted by Glenn Berry on 3 January 2011

You definitely deserve the award for all you do for the SQL Server community! You are no slouch technically, either. Congratulations!

Posted by Jeffrey Yao on 3 January 2011

Many congrats, Steve, it is well and very fairly deserved.

Posted by Steve Jones on 3 January 2011

Thanks, everyone, and I am honored.

Posted by WayneS on 3 January 2011

Congratulations Steve!

Regarding your comment about not having the deep technical knowledge... from mvp.support.microsoft.com:

"These exceptional community leaders come from a wide range of backgrounds. They are teachers, artists, doctors, engineers, as well as technologists, who actively share their high-quality, real-world technical expertise with the community and with Microsoft.

With the MVP Award, we thank these inspiring individuals for representing the voice of thousands in the community through the powerful and independent feedback they give us, and for helping our customers maximize the potential of their software."

Or, in other words, the MVP is an evangelist award for those helping to further SS. Yes, your considerable efforts in this area definitely qualify you for this award (just don't make it more than what it really is...:)  )

Posted by Ramkumar on 3 January 2011

Congrats Steve.

You allowed me to write articles in SSC. I started writing articles for 1 month where 100's of people are reading. resulting, I started encouraging my team to share their knowledge in SSC. I am just one among 1000's of SSC community member.  its all because of YOU.

i feel, this reason is enough for you to fullfill requirements of MVP till you retire.

Posted by vinodh247 on 4 January 2011

Way to go steve..!!!

Posted by Jason Brimhall on 4 January 2011

Congrats Steve

Posted by jeremiah.peschka on 7 January 2011

I never commented on this when you sent it out, but congratulations.