Here were the goals I posted for 2010 on the last day of December:
It’s been a quarter, and while I have a reminder to check these every month, I wanted to do a blog review after each quarter, noting how I’m doing on each of these. I’ll repeat them below with my comments:
- Forums – I’m still posting, and trying to get a few items on ASK SSC as well, though I’m a little below my goal of 300. With a lot of travel, and some vacation packed into the first quarter, I’m only doing about
- Blogging – I think I’ve done a great job here. While I’m not positive that I have 2 technical posts every week, I have tried to focus on writing a couple of T-SQL technical nuggets each week.
- Learn Reporting Services – I have installed a new VM for this and it’s up, but I haven’t done much else. I have tried to read the SSRS articles we’ve gotten more closely, but I haven’t cracked my SSRS 2008 book.
- Attend one SQL Saturday – Made it to #33 in Charlotte, also committed to Pensacola and Baton Rouge. I may try to get back to Orlando as well.
- Write a book – I actually had good intentions here, but progress hasn’t been great. I did an outline of one book my boss had asked for, which is a good start there. I also tracked down the history of SSC and started working on those chapters. I had about 6 or 7 in rough draft, and managed to devote a few days to cleaning up one of those chapters. Still a long way to go.
- Build 2 new presentations – I did one, a SQL Server for non-technical people at the Rocky Mountain Tech Fest, but I need to do another one, one I’ve actually committed to Pensacola. So that will occupy a good slice of April.
- Take all my vacation in 2010 – I have taken more to date, but my one day a week to ski hasn’t worked out great. I am planning on scheduling out more vacation this spring and summer, and have scheduled time off for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Travel to one new city for work – Duplicated with #4, I went to Charlotte, where I had never been before. Not sure if I’ll make another new one this year.
Overall I’m doing OK, but these goals are a bit of a stretch for me and I’m feeling it as I try to work on them. A busy family life this year hasn’t helped, but I think I’ll get through most of them in 2010.