The Voice of the DBA

Steve Jones is the editor of SQLServerCentral.com and visits a wide variety of data related topics in his daily editorial. Steve has spent years working as a DBA and general purpose Windows administrator, primarily working with SQL Server since it was ported from Sybase in 1990. You can follow Steve on Twitter at twitter.com/way0utwest

Red Gate and Hyperbac

Imagine my surprise when I arrived at the Red Gate offices Monday morning to find Jeff Aven at the office. I had a double take since Jeff is one of the founders of Hyperbac, and since Red Gate has SQL Backup, I’m surprised that Jeff was even allowed in the building. They’re competitive products in the same space.

Hyperbac_Logo_Single_Outline logo_v4.1

I assumed there was some deal in the works, but didn’t ask and remained quiet. I hadn’t tweeted or posted anything, and I’m glad. Even a “Just saw Jeff” probably would have gotten me into trouble. We all received an email later that day that informed us Red Gate had purchased Hyperbac (press release) and that it would be announced after customers were contacted. That’s good business, and while it seems silly, it makes sense. Most customers probably don’t care, but a few might.

What does this mean for Hyperbac? I’m not sure. In the short term nothing. There will be two separate backup products from Red Gate. My guess is they will be priced similarly with some choice, but who knows. We’ll see when the sales and marketing team has a chance to examine both products.

I think for the most part either product works for most DBAs. There are some technical differences in how they work, but for the most part they compress and/or encrypt backups. That’s almost a base, core function these days, especially as database sizes grow.

Hyperbac has a nice, core engine and my guess is that over time the best parts of Hyperbac and SQL Backup will merge somehow, depending on what happens with the built-in compression in SQL Server.

In either case, they’re both great products, and Red Gate has done a great job of supporting DBAs for years, so I don’t hesitate to recommend either product.

I did enjoy seeing Jeff, who I have known for almost as long as SQLServerCentral has been in existence.

Comments

Posted by Jerry Hung on 26 March 2010

I'm glad we picked Red Gate SQL Backup (and not Hyerbac) :P

Kudos to RedGate for continuous merger & acquisition, and improvement!

Posted by Brad M. McGehee on 27 March 2010

Like Steve, I was a little surprised to see Jeff Aven at Red Gate's offices when I walked in on Monday (along with Steve). For those of you that don't know, Jeff Aven, and other employees of Hyperbac, were the original designers and marketers of LiteSpeed (under the company name of DBAAssociates.) LiteSpeed then was sold to Imceda, then to Quest. I have known Jeff every since he begin advertising LiteSpeed (while it was owned by DBAAssociates) with me when I owned SQL-Server-Performance.com. Jeff Aven is a great guy and a great asset to Red Gate Software. It is certainly an odd concidence that Jeff and I now both work for Red Gate Software.

Posted by Scott Schommer on 26 May 2010

Is HyperBac part of the RedGate bundle (which we already own) or can we download it for free because we have a RedGate bundle?

Posted by jd on 16 June 2010

Just curious about HyperBac Online - 'the next big thing for SQL Server' (Simon Sabin) - how will this fit into the RedGate portfolio? It looks to have fantastic potential, at least for test/dev environments, but I can't see much evidence of user adoption. Am I just being myopic or is this product about to be shelved?

Many thanks

jd

Posted by Steve Jones on 16 June 2010

I'm not sure of the product timeline, and couldn't comment anywhere. I do know that there are plans to roll this technology into Red Gate products. For the online one, not sure.

Posted by Steve Jones on 16 June 2010

A note from the Red Gate product team:

HyperBac Online is featuring strongly in Red Gate’s development plans, and more information about the next release of the product will become available soon. The frequent need to replicate large volumes of production data for use by a small number of people in test/dev environments makes HyperBac Online ideal, because its online SQL Server data compression eliminates the need for disproportionately high storage costs. HyperBac Online is also appealing for these environments, as it compresses your whole database, making it quick and easy to implement – indeed with HyperBac Online you don’t need to touch your database schema at all. You can also buy it for a fraction of the price tag for SQL Server 2008 EE.

HyperBac Online will complement the other tools in Red Gate’s portfolio nicely – you could, for example, use Red Gate SQL Backup Pro to create a log shipping job and then use HyperBac Online to compress the transaction logs on the standby server. Or you could imagine compression running throughout your environment, where you use HyperBac for SQL Server to compress your backups and HyperBac Online to compress your live databases. Another product built on HyperBac technology, SQL Virtual Restore, also enables you to save time if you need quick access to your data from a backup. With SQL Virtual Restore, you can mount a live database directly from a backup without having to perform a restore operation. The live database mounted by SQL Virtual Restore is fully functional, with transactionally consistent data too.

Hope this helps - you can download a free trial of HyperBac Online from the HyperBac website and also find all the contact details to get in touch with any questions.

Posted by jd on 17 June 2010

Steve,

Thank you very much for these answers. We are looking to move our Dev, Test and Training environments (in the region of 7TB of native SQL Server data files) to a new infrastructure platform and are very interested in making use of Hyperbac Online. We have had a positive experience of deploying Hyperbac for compressing SQL server backups but before committing to Hyperbac Online, would be very interested to learn of others' experience or to be able to look at reference sites.

Thank you again for your help.

JD

Posted by Steve Jones on 17 June 2010

You are welcome. If you want to know more, contact Red Gate, or send me an email (sjones at this domain) and I'll find someone for you to talk to.