SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQLSaturday Bequeathed to PASS

I guess you could look at this one of two ways. Either PASS acquired SQL Saturday, or we (Andy, Brian, and I) bequeathed it to PASS. The truth is it’s a bit of both. We were looking to get some help in keeping the SQLSaturday events going, while also freeing up the time required to make them happen.

This was mostly Andy’s baby, from start to finish, with support from Brian and I, so the credit really goes to Andy. He came up with the idea, did most of the work with various people around the country to get the events setup and running, and he attended more than anyone. I think most of the event organizers would agree that Andy’s mentoring was invaluable in getting the SQL Saturday franchises up and running.

This was a non-profit venture, which really didn’t make any money for the SQL Share (formerly End to End Training and JumpstartTV) company. It was a nice marketing move, it was great for the community, and I think a fantastic idea for keeping the SQL Server community vibrant. It was also a little bit of a time sink. That wasn’t great for something that wasn’t generating any revenue in this economy.

This is a perfect venture for PASS to be involved in. It fits their mission, and I’m looking forward to seeing even more events in the future under the PASS/SQL Saturday brand.

I had the privilege of going to 3 or 4 events over the last few years, and I’m looking to try to get to a few more this year. I’ll still be supporting the events, and speaking when I can.

The Voice of the DBA

Steve Jones is the editor of SQLServerCentral.com and visits a wide variety of data related topics in his daily editorial. Steve has spent years working as a DBA and general purpose Windows administrator, primarily working with SQL Server since it was ported from Sybase in 1990. You can follow Steve on Twitter at twitter.com/way0utwest

Comments

Posted by Glenn Berry on 3 February 2010

Perhaps having SQL Saturday under the PASS banner will give SQL Saturday more visibility?  Thanks to Andy, Brian and you for getting it started and pushing it forward.

Posted by Tim Mitchell on 3 February 2010

I see this as an excellent opportunity for PASS, assuming the leadership doesn't come in and make a lot of sweeping changes to the event structure or how they're run.

Kudos and big thanks to the three of you for all of the work you've done to create and build SQL Saturday.

Posted by Steve Jones on 3 February 2010

I hope it grows to a larger event, and gets more visibility. PASS could possibly bring more exposure/marketing than we could do.

I'm still amazed at how well things have grown.

Posted by Jason Brimhall on 3 February 2010

I think this is a good move for both sides.  PASS should be able to offer a lot more exposure for SQLSaturday.  Now we just need to get one in my area (working on it).

Posted by Sopheap Suy on 3 February 2010

Steve,

Thank you.  I am excite about the news.

--sopheap

Posted by Tim Mitchell on 3 February 2010

I am impressed that you were able to work the word "bequeathed" into a blog post :)

Posted by John Sterrett on 3 February 2010

I want to thank Scott, Andy and Brian for SQLSaturday.  This is a great concept.  I look forward to hosing the first SQLSaturday in WV #36 on May 1st.

Posted by Steve Jones on 3 February 2010

I was searching for a good word and that one came up.

I'd love to get out to WV for that one. I'll see if I can make it happen.

Posted by Steve Cullen on 26 February 2010

I'm planning on attending #35 in Dallas and dragging as many of our staff as I can.  I love the concept and I would like to present, but I'm going to hold off for now.

Now that PASS has ownership, I doubt they will be able to keep the cost so low, which is a shame, since so many companies are unable or unwilling to fund such training.  I hope I'm wrong.