I'm searching for a new laptop bag. After getting a backpack from Microsoft and using it on a few trips, I realize that it won't work. Since I know there are a few other people looking for them, I commissioned a review on a Maxpedition bag from the Scary DBA. I'm looking forward to seeing what he thinks of that one.
In any case, when I was trying to stuff things into my bag and struggling. So I unpacked the bag and then took stock of what I had in there. My list of things:
- 15" laptop
- power brick and cord for the 15" laptop
- HP Mini 1030R Netbook (10")
- power brick and cord for the netbook.
- iPod sync cable
- USB wall adapter
- USB car adapter
- iPod for running
- External USB drive
- External SATA adapter (purchased on the trip)
- CD case, holds 12 CDs/DVDs
- a dozen pens/pencils
- 2 small notebooks
- USB charge cable for cell phone
- business cards (about 20-30)
- headphones for running/editing
- 2 digital cameras (1 for my daughter)
- book light for airplane reading
- small SD card -> USB adapter
- external USB->VGA adapter
- bluetooth headset charger
I was actually stunned by how much crap I was carrying around. No wonder I didn't like carrying the backpack. I can cut down a touch of this stuff, but I'm missing my camcorder, which I'll need at PASS along with a microphone.
I definitely think that I need to consider a rolling bag of some sort.
Don't look for all this at SQL Saturday #17. I'll be there with just the netbook, leaving the 15" laptop at home.