Unfortunately my company still uses
MS Access DBs. That's Access 97 folks! I've battled many challenges over the
last couple months with these databases. It hasn't been fun but it's been a
great learning experience.
I had a fun adventure last week with dealing with one of these DBs. We have a User access DB that connects to our SQL User DB. If HR updates something in their system, it then gets updated to the access DB system. We then have a job that updates the SQL DB with the Access DB. The job isn't done in SQL though. Anyhoo, the dev team was given a task to update that job. The dev lucky enough to get this task made a simple change that should have been a cakewalk.
The update when fine and dandy but.... no one took consideration of the dependences.
We didn't even know we had dependences on this old job/db until the emails
started rolling in.
Long story short, we found the
problem and were able to update it. The bad part was fixing the busted data. We
found out that this DB was tied to 2 other ms-access dbs. D'OH!
I was then given the task of fixing the data in the other 2 dbs asap so that people could work on their documents. I thought - "No big deal, update some old access DBs". Then I saw the data in the DBs.
The field I had to update was tied to the UserID in the User DB. This wouldn't have been a problem except that there were many cases where there were more than 1 UserID in that column.
So instead of a nice USERID = 123, I had loads of USERID = 123,234. Oh man...We will now refer to this column as the AwesomeColumn.
My game plan was to take all those multiple USERIDs, split them apart, update them, and then slam them back together again. But how the hell was I supposed to do this in Access.
So I ask you to join me in my journey. Splitting ID's with commas, updating them, and then Slamming them back together.
Instead of making this a novel, I'll just get the juicy stuff. Main goal I needed to do here was update old USERIDs with new USERIDs. Some of those IDs that needed updated where in the AwesomeColumn.
First thing I did was get the latest and greatest ID and toss that dude into a temp table.