Archives: March 2012
First thing this morning – a request from a DBA to confirm if Differential BACKUPS can be restored on a database in SIMPLE RECOVERY mode. Yes , you can.
A few assumptions are made :
1) A Differential base exists
2) The Differential base is not a COPY_ONLY database .More… Read more
Event ID 7026 and i8042prt is a recurring error in the Windows Event Logs. I usually see this error on a server reboot .
It’s normal for a server to not have a keyboard or mouse attached. I usually suppress the error , by creating a headless entry.
The … Read more
The System logs returned :
The device, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, did not respond within the timeout period.
Some common causes
1) SCSI controller firmware
2) Incorrect transfer settings
3) SCSI Cabling
4) Other controllers creating bus contention
Record all the device model numbers and firmware revisions, and check with the… Read more
Transactions generate IO, latching and locking on tables and indexes , while attempting to access data. The sys.dm_db_index_operational_stats DMV returns aggregated data on this activity.
Warning : sys.dm_db_index_operational_stats returns data only as long as the metadata cache object that represents the heap or index is available. A frequently used object… Read more
Specialise or a generalise? It all depends on how you define these terms.
A SQL Server DBA may be considered to be a specialist by a Enterprise Architect but a generalist by a SSIS expert.
When log records remain active for a long time – truncation can be delayed. The delays can cause the transaction logs to fill. This can lead to a Error 9002
In the Full Recovery mode , a Log Backup will delete the commited transaction log records. In the Simple Recovery… Read more
On a routine scan of Event Viewer System, Logs I found this message on 4 different servers hosting SQL Server installations
The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server MYCOMPUTER$. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on…
To display network connections and various network interface statistics – netstat is a handy command – line based tool.
Why is it useful for the DBA ?
1) Execute netstat –an to view all active connections (TCP and UDP ports) on a server. The DBA has… Read more
Use the system view “sys.master_files” for a single view of databases and database files.
Instead of using sys.sysfiles joing to sys.sysdatabases use the sys.master_files
select DB_NAME(database_id),mf.name as [file_name],physical_name FROM sys.master_files as mf
1) SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services doesn’t support Windows 2003 (or R2) Itanium based servers
2) SQL-DMO support is stopped in SQL Server 2008 Express
3) Cannot enable Web Assistant with sp_configure. MS recommend using Reporting Services
4) Surface Area Configuration Tool is discontinued in SQL Server 2008.
5) … Read more
Common reasons for query time-outs are :
1) The application starts using a query not optimal for the index
2) Hardware changes\ Configuration changes
3) Increased load
If you suspect the query time-out is due to memory issue , continue reading.
Debugging a query-timeout is tricky. If it’s a Production… Read more
Managing a large SQL Server inventory requires an efficient management processes.
Following on from DBA productivity and less is more , this post outlines the system I use to manage the DBA scripts across the database server environment
1) Develop a script library covering the essentials of DBA database management… Read more