http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/sql_awesomesauce/2013/02/15/23-pieces-of-news-and-fluffery-feb-9-15/ Printed 2015/02/28 12:40PM
23 Pieces of News and Fluffery (Feb 9-15)
I have a news segment on DBAs@Midnight (our live weekly webshow, tune in tonight at 11pm Central time), but there’s no way I can get to everything that’s happened in the last few days! So, here’s your weekly news update.
CISPA is back, as I mentioned on Tuesday.
@MidnightDBA: Great. CISPA 2 be reintroduced tomorrow, & the President’s talking about executive orders re: web privacy. Time to pay attention again.
@whitehouse President Obama: “Earlier today, I signed a new executive order that will strengthen our cyber defenses.” #SOTU
The State of the Union happened Wednesday. Many things were covered, but we noted that technology got a lot of air time from the President. GOOD! (Here is Scientific American’s coverage of the SOTU tech points.) What you might NOT know is that on Thursday there was a STEM State of the Union.
@datachick If anyone has doubted that 2013 is going to be the year of the nerd, you lost. #SOTU
@hmason Twitter is like MST3K for everything. #sotu
Bill Gates did an AMA on Reddit this week @slashdot Bill Gates talks databases, open software on Reddit AMA (SlashCloud) https://t.co/PUOarAZs
Products and Events
- @SQL_Sentry New #PlanExplorer now available! …upload & share #SQL execution plans! http://bit.ly/PE_V2
- @DevNambi #SqlAgainstHumanity is now for sale, https://t.co/tvJso2z4 . All proceeds ($1/game) are donated to charity. /cc @buckwoody @MidnightDBA
- @SQLCruise Huge SQL Cruise News http://bit.ly/Yh1Iuf New Training Event: SQ
- @spolsky I’ll be at Out in Tech NYC – social event for gay techies – March 6th – lmk if you’re going! http://outintech.com
- @lifehacker Docracy Terms of Service Tracker is an easy way to keep up to date with changes to privacy policies and ToS: http://lifehac.kr/myvd8xh
- @lunivore It’s only a “deadline” if your project will die failing to meet it. Otherwise it’s just a sadline. I’m going to call them that from now on.
- @sqldba Today’s “I want it all” DBA job post – SQLServer 2000/2005/2008/2012, T-SQL,OLTP, OLAP, Reporting Services, DTS,SSIS: bit.ly/U9X6bg
- @mnDBA I win the “you can’t make this up” prize for the day. Found: one rogue SQL2K box with a DB named “Server Database SQL”! #Awesome
- @sqljoe Storage failures are not fun. Possibly all development for current week lost at current client. Tip: have a DR plan for Dev as well !
- @mikehillwig I really shouldn’t write e-mails when I’m in a bitchy mood.
- @greeleygeek I think “Change Control” is an inherently broken concept, especially when change needs to happen all the time and immediately. #justsayin
- @Tim_Mitchell Is a stored procedure aware of its own name? I’m hoping to log sproc executions with a generic piece of code in each sproc #sqlhelp
- @AdamMachanic A vendor just e-mailed me about its “kiss ass support team.” Double-check those e-mails, people!