Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
 
Log in  ::  Register  ::  Not logged in
 
 
 

Little Workaround in Report Manager

I had an issue this week in Report Manager. I was generating a report (we’ll call it General Widgets Report), and from there clicking a link to generate and export a subreport (say, Individual Widget Report). The problem with this is that it wipes out initial report and its parameters…so every single time, I had to

  1. Enter parameters and run the General Widgets Report
  2. Click the link of the Widget for which I wanted an Individual Widget Report.
  3. Export the Individual Report.
  4. Go BACK and re-enter params and run the General Widgets Report.

ANNOYING!  And also potentially resource-consuming, as I had to run the same report again and again (okay yes, that data was probably cached and all, but it’s still another call to the server).  I thought at first I could get around this by simply right-clicking and opening the subreport in a new tab or window, but no go…that would just bring up a blank page.

But!! I figured out a little workaround:

  1. Enter parameters and run the General Widgets Report
  2. Export the General Widgets Report as MHTML (web archive). That opens in a separate window, and keeps the links intact.
  3. Right-click the link (“open in new tab”) of the Widget for which I wanted an Individual Widget Report.
  4. Repeat step 3 as necessary.

Yaaaaaay workarounds!

Now, there’s probably (possibly) a way to modify Report Manager/Reporting Services so that those original parameters don’t get wiped out…but frankly, (A) this is more efficient (as we’re not rerunning that first report again and again), and (B) I don’t know what it is.

Ta-ta, all, and happy days to you!
-Jen McCown
www.MidnightDBA.com/Jen

Comments

Posted by andym on 14 September 2011

I was tasked with doing basically the same thing.  I got it to work, but it was a hack.  I had some hidden parameters used to build up the url for the Individual Widget Report, and then the navigate options on the main report were to jump to a url, which was javascript to open a new window with that calculated url.  It worked, but felt terribly hackish.  The export to web archive is an extra step, which may have been resisted by the users, but would have been more of a supported option.  I'll have to file this away.  Thanks for the workaround! :-)

Leave a Comment

Please register or log in to leave a comment.