SQLSaturday #59 - Speaker Interview Series # 12 - with Ayad Shammout
Today, we bring you the immaculate interview. If his sessions are as efficient and regimented as his answers, then indeed we can look forward to some well-organized and thoughtful presentations from certified expert, Ayad Shammout. No really, he is a certified MCDBA, MCSE, MCITP and MCTS! I guess he’s used to taking all these tests, hence the multiple choice format of today’s interview. OK, it’s not really multiple choice, but let’s kick it off with one, in spirit of the upcoming event:
Question: Which of the following will we have at the SQLSaturday #59 11/20/2010 in NYC?
a) Great Speakers
b) Cool Prizes, Software Giveaways, and SWAG
c) Great Sponsors
d) Awesome Free Learning Sessions
e) Free Breakfast & Lunch
f) All of the Above
If you’ve chosen f), then you’ve either registered or thinking of registering, because that is the correct answer!
Alright, let’s get to our speaker interview, and learn All about Ayad.
1. RP: Ayad, thank you for completing these questions and appreciate your time! Please tell us a little about yourself, your background, your career and your involvement in the SQL Community.
AS: I’m a Principal Consultant with Advanti Solutions Inc. (One of our SQLSaturday Sponsors) I’ve been involved in IT for 20 years as a Developer, System Engineer, System Analyst and Database Consultant. I have a long experience in Microsoft Platforms and products primarily specialized in SQL Server, SharePoint and Windows OS. I’m working in OLTP design and development, DBA support, Performance Tuning and Business Intelligence. I’ve been involved in many SQL Server Enterprise implementations for High-Availability, Disaster Recovery, Infrastructure Design, Security and Compliance. I have extensive experience in SQL Server Integration Service, SQL Server Reporting Service, SQL Server Analysis Service, and PowerPivot for Excel and SharePoint.
I was awarded “SQL Server Innovators Award 2006” and presented at different events. I’m an MCDBA, MCSE, MCITP and MCTS
2. RP: What is your area of expertise? How did you become a DBA/SQL Professional?
AS: Area of Expertise:
1. High Availability and Disaster Recovery
2. Performance Tuning
3. Security and Compliance
4. PowerPivot for Excel 2010 and SharePoint 2010
5. Infrastructure design
3. RP: What advice would you give your fellow colleagues who are trying to become more senior professionals?
a. Take the time to read about all SQL features and have a background knowledge, focus on the features that interest you and test these features in your test machine to better understand how it works
b. Access and follow SQL Server resources on the web and read SQL experts blogs/sites
c. Get yourself familiar with IT infrastructure i.e. Storage, network, servers, etc.
4. RP: As I see the question all the time, what do you tell folks who want to get more involved in the SQL Community?
a. Participate in SQL discussion threads/forum
b. Share your knowledge by speaking at events, writing articles and answering peers questions
5. RP: What are 3 of your favorite features in SQL Server 2008/R2?
a. PowerPivot for Excel and Sharepoint
c. Policy-based management
6. RP: What are you working on currently? (Projects, Books/Articles, Speaking circuit, etc.)
a. Denali (SQL11) testing
b. PASS presentation
7. RP: What are some of your other interests, hobbies, etc. when you’re not being a DBA/Engineer/BI professional?
8. RP: What are you looking forward to, or, what excites you the most about presenting at our SQLSaturday event in the capital of the world, NYC?
a. Share my experience, lessons learned and best practices.
b. Provide the advice to my peer dba’s
9. RP: Give us a preview of the topic and session(s) you have planned for us at SQLSaturday#59
AS: Two Sessions:
1- Session: PowerPivot for Excel and SharePoint 2010
10. RP: Anything that you would like to add?
AS: See you there!
Again, thanks, Ayad, I think you have some great and diverse session topics, and look forward to catching (for me at least one of them) coming up November 20, 2010! We give you an A for some good answers and excellent format! J