Join me for a day of
Real World Database Configuration and Tuning for Microsoft SQL Server
Friday, March 14, 2014 from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM (PDT)
Mountain View, CA
This full-day training event combines a thorough overview of fundamental architectural concepts of the SQL Server relational engine followed by hands-on demos to reinforce each conceptual lesson. Since most technologists learn by doing, this training is designed to maximize the time attendees spend working with SQL Server. With ample demos, we’ll cover the spectrum of best practices as they relate to SQL Server configuration and performance tuning.
(Note that this is a complete different presentation, top to bottom, from the pre-con seminar I presented at the 2012 SQL Saturday in Silicon Valley.)
You will learn:
- The internals and architecture of SQL Server and how they interact during read and, separately, during write operations, including an overview of SQL Server caches, memory buffering and clean-up processes, and user activity handling.
- An introduction to bare-metal tuning of server hardware and storage configurations for database applications, including DASD, RAID, SSD, and SAN architectures.
- Important Windows and SQL Server configuration settings and trace flags, including special considerations for SQL Server running on VMs.
- Methods for benchmarking the performance of alternative configurations and settings.
- Designing databases for performance through indexing, statistics and cardinality, data types, and recovery mode.
- Monitoring and identifying performance bottlenecks and resolving performance issues, including PerfMon, traces and extended events, Dynamic Management Views (DMVs) and Wait Statistics.
- Advanced database structures including “Hekaton” in-memory tables and Columnstore indexes.
And, even better, come the following day to the free, full-day of training at the Silicon Valley SQL Saturday! I’ll be there, hanging out and, y’know, doin’ stuff. Or maybe not – doing stuff. But I’ll definitely be at the SQL Saturday along with some of the best talent and top speakers in the SQL Server world!
I hope to see you there!
The post Join Me on March 14 in Silicon Valley for a Full-Day of SQL Server Configuration Tuning Lessons appeared first on Kevin Kline.