It’s SFTW Time, I hope you’ve had a great week!
Make sure you don’t miss this weekly round-up of SQL Server Links, community news and technology banter by Subscribing to the Blog Feed.
You can also receive posts via Email.
I don’t typically syndicate ( that’s share using RSS technology to you non bloggers) the weekly round-up to SQL Server Central but today I decided to make an exception. To those new folks joining us, welcome to SFTW!
So I had some good, no, great news yesterday. Following my recent blog post with a public call to action for myself, delivered in typical SQLBrit low key style of course, finally it has all become a reality. As if there was ever any doubt! For the very first time folks I shall be heading to the PASS Summit and I cannot wait. See you there.
Here’s your weekly roundup of SQL Server Blog Posts, News and Techie Stuff. Enjoy!
SQL Server Links
- When Your DBA Job Sucks: The Phases of Burnout - Wow, this was like reading my own story in parts and I bet you can say the same to. A truly excellent post from Kendra Little (Blog|Twitter).
- Merge replication stopping without errors in SQL 2008 R2 - Wise advice from Rob Farley (Blog|Twitter), sharing that you don’t need to solve the problem in order to provide value.
- Why Doesn’t Partition Elimination Work? - You really are guaranteed to learn something of value from each and every post. Paul White (Blog|Twitter) here with another insightful walk-through.
- When I Use Nested Joins - Join Michael J. Swart (Blog|Twitter) for an excellent walk-through by example.
- How It Works: SQL Server AlwaysOn Lease Timeout - More expert insider knowledge on SQL 2012 courtesy of the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
- Timewarp: What Is a Relational Database? - We all think we know right but do we really know? Kevin Kline(Blog|Twitter) discusses here and be sure to read the post comments.
- 10 Things I Hate About Interviewing You - Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter) on why interviewing is like dating and how you might suck at both.
- The Ancient History of Microsoft SQL Server - A trip down memory lane, like only the older community folks can, it’s Kevin Kline(Blog|Twitter).
- Demystifying SQL Server Differential Database Backups - Back to basics with Wes Brown (Blog|Twitter) this week.
- How To: Right-Sizing The Datatypes Currently In The Buffer Pool - Thomas Larock (Blog|Twitter)
- How SQL Server Works: Log File (Video) - This weeks video from the PLF Team, with your host Jes Borland (Blog|Twitter).
- Revisiting Inside Tempdb - A follow up on some left over details from a PASS summit presentation, more interesting insights from the CSS SQL Server Engineers (Blog).
UK SQL Server Upcoming Events
Use the SQL Server Event Calendar to keep informed of all upcoming SQL Server events, User Groups, and training opportunities here in the UK. You can also add this calendar alongside you existing Google calendar.
Misc Technology Posts
- Computer Crime, Then and Now - CodingHorror
- Apple iPhone 5 unveiled with taller screen and 4G - BBC News Technology – (I don’t know about you guys but I was very unimpressed by this release)
- EE to launch 4G mobile services in 16 UK cities in 2012 - BBC News Technology
- Humanity facing GLOBAL BACON SHORTAGE – The Register
What was your favourite post? Read a blog this week that you think deserves a mention? Share your thoughts in the comments and find me on Twitter(@SQLBrit).
“If you enjoyed this weeks fix of SQL goodness the best way you can show your support is by sharing it. Please click a share option at the top of the on site post.”
Have a great weekend!