What is it that makes the perfect role for a Database Administrator?
Well I can’t tell you that because you and I may not be looking for the same things in a role. What I can tell you though is what I look for, what it is that makes my ideal DBA role.
Last week in my post New Year New Job? I talked about why now is precisely the right time for you to be looking for a new opportunity and today I want to continue the career theme and share with you my thoughts on what it is that I look for in a DBA role.
This is by no means an exhaustive list and simply covers just a few of things I personally look for. I may add to this over time as more things come to mind. In no particular order then…..
Culture and Philosophy
- The Freedom to Innovate
- Challenging projects
- Flexible working practices
- Colleagues with passion and character
- An environment where challenging the status quo is encouraged
- The opportunity to work with the full SQL Server product stack (DB Engine, SSAS, SSRS, SSIS)
- To work with the latest technology (SQL Server Version, hardware)
- Design, Deploy & Administrate enterprise scale environments
- Work with a wide variety of SQL Server product features (Clustering/Mirroring/Log Shipping/Replication, Partitioning, Compression……)
- Understanding the importance of Professional Development for a DBA
- Encourages and supports training
- Encourages and supports sql community involvement
- A knowledge sharing culture
Did I Mention That We’re Currently Hiring?
So there you have it, those are just some of things that I look for in a DBA role. All of which I’m pleased are present in my current role with Expedia.
If this sounds like the sort of company that you would like to work for then why not come and join us! We’re looking for Senior DBAs to join our team in London right now. To find out more visit the Expedia Jobs site or you can contact me for details.
What does your dream DBA job look like?
That’s enough about what I think, what do you think? What is it that you look for in the ideal DBA role? What is it that is important to you?