Thomas LaRock (SQL Server MVP) (Blog | Twitter | LinkedIN), recently has published the new book DBA Survivor: Become a Rock Start DBA, and many of the readers of this book also publish their review and everyone can say that they learn something new or refresh something known. I think for the beginners is the ideal book to organize their experience and their life as DBA, at least the book itself has the clear message, becoming a RockStar DBA (DBA Survivor), where you will find much more info how to do things as DBA in better way and all of these are described with experience.
Ok, it was a brief description of the book and book's author, and if you are interested to read this book you can find all the infos here. So, I'm going to publish some tips from this interesting book:
- Certification & Experience are a powerful combination, similar to when you combine an Education with Motivation!
- (Verify that you can Restore) ... Practice makes you better able to the right thing under pressure and when fatigued.
- Being able to fix things does not make you a senior DBA. You become a senior DBA by making certain that things do not break in the first place.
- Work smarter, not harder. Find ways to be proactive in solving issues.
- ...The best DBAs ask questions, even basic questions, to quench their thirst for knowledge.
- Remember, no one person knows everything.
- Document everything that you can, no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- Regular exercise can also be a great way to network with other professionals, even some within your own company.
- etc etc etc.
As you can see, you can find many many of the tips that can help you to understand the message what the author wants to say, but if you read the book inside together with these nice tips, you will find much more, experienced cases also with in deep explanations. Finally, I recommend this book even for the professionals, because they will refresh some things that they know but they didn't practice yet!