Why you should ask your CTO to attend the User group meetings.

When we (Bill Wunder and me) started our user group, the first person we invited to sign up to our website was the CTO of the company. There are some advantages in having your CTO attend the user group meetings.

One of the main advantages is that he/she will get more information regarding the SQL Server. This helps when some decision needs to be taken regarding a product. The CTO will understand why the DBA’s are for or against a certain design or flow for the products. He/She will also make sure that the DBA’s are involved in the design phase and will talk to the DBA’s before any decision is taken.

The other advantage is at the time of reviews. Yes, that is correct. He/She will keep in mind how much effort you made to educate your fellow colleagues and other members.
When you run a user group, you are always strapped for cash or sponsorship. At least that is how it is in our user group. When ever there is a special event, you can always go to your CTO and ask him to get the company sponsor the event. He/She will take extra effort in getting the financial aid that is needed.

Last but not the least; you get the company to sponsor you to go for SQLPass summits. Last year the CTO had no second thoughts in sending me to Seattle for the summit. This year my CTO is sending my colleague for the SQLRally. Yesterday I went and asked him if I could go for the Summit in Seattle, he did not hesitate to say yes. His answer was “Off course”.

Comments

Posted by Steve Jones on 6 May 2011

I hadn't thought about this, but it's a good idea. I might aim for simpler, more overview sessions/topics, but I can see some value here.

Thanks, Roy.

Posted by Gabriel Villa on 6 May 2011

I like this article, problem is, how can you convince them to attend? I think I would have less clashing with out CIO if he attended UG and SQL Saturday events with me. I have invited him to my sessions where I have presented and meetings that I've attended in the last 6 months and has not shown any interest to go. Any suggestions to get him more involved?

Posted by Jason Brimhall on 6 May 2011

I think this is a good idea.  I hadn't considered it, but it seems like a worthwhile thing to do.

Posted by Roy Ernest on 6 May 2011

I am lucky to have a CTO who supports these kind of things. We did a good sales pitch saying that we will get trainings from international speakers once we start. We also have had some really interesting topics. So he got hooked. And when I got Jimmy May to come down, things really changed. He made sure that the company sponsored for the location and snacks for the special meeting. The only reason why he has missed couple of our meetings is because he had to leave the island.

Posted by Grant Fritchey on 7 May 2011

While we didn't invite our CTO, and probably should have, we did invite our manager. It helped. Not a lot, but it did help. I didn't think of telling others. Nice call Roy.

Posted by Jack Corbett on 7 May 2011

Interesting results Roy.  I think it is a good idea to try to get the boss to come.  I know that since Rodney Landrum moved to Orlando we've seen attendance go up because he gets his employees and bosses to come, especially when the topic is something they are considering doing.

Posted by Dukagjin Maloku on 9 May 2011

Hmm good to hear that you have such a CTO!

Posted by Roy Ernest on 9 May 2011

I guess I am lucky. I have my CTO, the manager of the development team and couple of project managers from other companies. This helps. :-)