http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/databaseexpertisecom/2011/04/20/codename-for-the-next-generation-of-sql-server_3F003F00_/ Printed 2016/07/02 12:24AM
CodeName for the next generation of SQL Server??
Ever since the first version of SQL Server (1988??), Microsoft has found some interesting codenames for their releases
- 1993 – SQL Server 4.21
- 1995 – SQL Server 6.0 was called SQL95
- 1996 – SQL Server 6.5, was called Hydra
- 1999 – SQL Server 7.0, was called Sphinx
- 1999 – SQL Server 7.0 OLAP, was called Plato
- 2000 – SQL Server 2000 32-bit, was called Shiloh
- 2003 – SQL Server 2000 64-bit, was called Liberty
- 2005 – SQL Server 2005, was called Yukon
- 2008 – SQL Server 2008, was called Katmai
- 2010 – SQL Server 2008 R2, was called Kilimanjaro
- Currently in the pipeline – SQL Server 2011, will be known as Denali
Potential codenames for future releases ?? Considering we’ve had 2 of the worlds 7 summits (from the different continents), how about the following:-
Elbrus – not as snazzy sounding as Denali is it ?
Carstensz Pyramid - bit of a mouthful this one !
Everest – probably been taken by another product somewhere ?
Aconcagua – I cannot even pronounce this myself !
Vinson – now then Mr Gates, this sounds a contender !!!
I’ve summitted Kilimanjaro, should really challenge myself and do the others too !