DBAs – soon to disappear??

Heres a thought

With all the monitoring tools and performance gauging software available on the market these days, will there ever come a day when DBAs, or certainly ‘teams’ of dedicated DBAs, become surplus to requirement ?

Has the role of a DBA changed significantly over the last 5 / 10 years ?

Any DBAs out there worrying about the solidity of their careers?

Comments

Posted by Dukagjin Maloku on 7 May 2010

Bad news for the near future...really I don't know what to say!!!

Posted by Anonymous on 7 May 2010

Pingback from  Twitter Trackbacks for                 SQLServer Central Blogs. #DBAs ??? soon to disappear??: Heres a thoughtWith all the monitoring tools and performanc...         [sqlservercentral.com]        on Topsy.com

Posted by Jason Brimhall on 7 May 2010

No, not really worried about that.  People still need to communicate one to another and interpret requirements and such.

Posted by Glenn Berry on 7 May 2010

I would say that the job of a good DBA is pretty safe from being replaced by a monitoring tool. A good DBA is doing lots of things that tools cannot do.

Posted by Dukagjin Maloku on 8 May 2010

Yep I agree with you Glenn, but what to do, to convince the company for that you are saying! Many companies are searching for the cheaper services(many tools with any kind of DBA), not for quality services(good DBAs + some proper tools)!

Posted by Steve Jones on 9 May 2010

I heard this back in 1997 from my brother-in-law who was an Exchange Admin for a large company (> 10k mailboxes). He said it was getting so automated that soon there would be few sysadmind and exchange admins.

How many are there today? My guess is we have many more. I don't see this as something that will change anytime soon, if ever. My guess is that Exchange admins would be the closest to being replaced, and if they do, you can start to examine this.

Posted by FabricioLimaDBA on 9 May 2010

I think that a goob DBA will always have a job.

fabriciodba.spaces.live.com

Posted by bsquared08 on 19 July 2010

I am a DBA wannabe and I've looked at the labor market stats repeatedly to make sure I won't be back on the street within a couple years.  Therefore, I'm relying on DBAs being needed for quite a while.  Actually, I figured this before looking at stats because of the massive use of databases in the workplace, especially since they are used over the net now.  It's a beautiful thing!

As of 7/2/10, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics report states that DBA job growth is expected to be 20%.  Directly from the stat report: "Employment is expected to grow much faster than the average, and job prospects should be excellent.

Employment of database administrators is expected to grow by 20 percent from 2008 to 2018, much faster than the average.  Demand for these workers is expected to increase as organizations need to store, organize, and analyze increasing amounts of data.  In addition, as more databases are connected to the Internet, and as data security becomes increasingly important, a growing number of these workers will be needed to protect databases from attack."  Naturally, this will vary from state to state.  Here is the link:  www.bls.gov/.../ocos305.htm

While I'm here ... YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!  (Haven’t seen any female names yet)  I joined back in May and have been receiving all the different newsletters - so much information though!  Tonight I wanted to what you all said about DBA associations and stumbled upon articles & blogs about BECOMING A DBA.  Duh!  According to you all, I'm on the right track.  I purchased SQL Server 2008 Dev Edition and installing it as close as possible to how I would on a job, but the "keeping a log" advice is terrific.  I was in IT a few years ago so I'm familiar with setting up servers.  I have taken 3 SQL Server 2005 classes at New Horizons (I hear that everyone knows who they are {?}), and am studying for the cert exam.  BTW, the cert exam information (MS study guides, & self-paced learning kits) is great.

Would welcome any and all advice on becoming a DBA from you all.  Thanks so much!