As I blogged about previously, tomorrow (Wednesday) I will be speaking for the PASS Professional Development virtual chapter. My talk will be on my career, how I got to where I am, and how I have developed the views I've developed with respect to the job, building yourself up in the profession, etc. What I cover:
- How my career has developed after almost 25 years in the industry.
- How setbacks forced me to rethink my plans for the future.
- How setbacks caused me to take a realistic evaluation of myself and my goals.
- How opportunities opened because of relationships.
- How seizing particular opportunities led to where I am today.
- The non-technical skills I recommend working on.
- Books that can help develop these skills.
- The technical skills, outside of database skills, I suggest picking up.
If you're interested, the presentation is at 1 PM Eastern on August 15th via LiveMeeting. You can attend via this link.
For IT Pros:
And on a related front, Kevin Kline (blog | twitter) and Joe Webb (blog | twitter) have started For IT Pros, which is designed to provide leadership training for IT professionals. Both speak and write on professional development as well as leadership topics, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what comes as a result of this venture.