http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/bradleyschacht/2013/08/27/sharepoint-ssrs-the-permissions-granted-to-user-domainuser-are-insufficient-for-performing-this-operation/

Printed 2014/07/29 03:37PM

SharePoint SSRS “The permissions granted to user ‘Domain\User’ are insufficient for performing this operation”

By Bradley Schacht, 2013/08/27

Not too long ago I ran into a crazy situation where just about everything that could have gone wrong with my SharePoint environment after a restore did go wrong. I was planning on blogging a bunch of it and thanks to time constraints I had to just get it backup and running and couldn’t take down notes about most of it. After getting everything back up and running I thought I was good to go until two days later when an interesting issue came up. Running an SSRS report (SSRS 2012 using the SSRS Service Application) the first time would work fine, but if I changed the parameters or hit the View Report button a second time the following error would come up.

SharePoint Error

Error!

The permissions granted to user ‘Domain\User’ are insufficient for performing this operation. Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.AccessDeniedException: The permissions granted to user ‘Domain\User’ are insufficient for performing this operation.

My execution account was set up and consequently not the account listed in the error message. The more intriguing part was that the account noted in the error message was was the service account running SSRS so it had all necessary rights on the reporting services databases. Just for the heck of it and to speed up my troubleshooting I made the account a sysadmin (yes, I know…I know…it was in DEV, calm down please) and the error persisted.

According to section 8.3 of this MSDN page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee384252(SQL.100).aspx) there are two possible reasons for the given error:

Awesome. Kerberos isn’t in play so that narrows down my problem, right? If you’ve read many of my blog posts you will know the answer: WRONG! Of course my application pool account was the same in IIS and in SharePoint. The password for the account had not been changed and other applications using the same account were functioning just fine. As it turns out the first option had some merit. Since the two accounts were the same here is the final order of operations that fixed the problem for me:

  1. Change the service account for the application pool in SharePoint to a DIFFERENT account
  2. Change the service account for the application pool back to the desired account
  3. Do an IIS reset on all SSRS application servers
  4. Happy reporting

I didn’t even need to touch the IIS interface to modify the account.


Copyright © 2002-2014 Simple Talk Publishing. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use. Report Abuse.