If you have ever gotten this error message you may have been left scratching your head wondering why…kinda like me.
Well, like any tech savvy user I went into the Windows features section and found that Windows Search was in fact enabled. Then I figured, the service may have just stopped running or something happened and it couldn’t start properly when I turned the laptop on. So I went to the Windows Services and found to my amazement that it was running just the way it should. Again, being a technical person with fairly good troubleshooting skills my next step was obvious and it worked!
That’s right, I went to good ol’ Google. A couple modified searches later (because the first two searches only brought back people who did have the search service running) I came across this wonderful blog. I cannot take credit for coming up with this solution at all.
Without trying to explain why each of these things matter, do the following and you’ll be good to go…hopefully.
- In the Windows Features be sure the Windows Search feature is checked (most of the blogs will tell you this, so it’s probably the most common fix)
- While in the Windows Features go ahead and make sure that Indexing Services is checked off too.
- Finally inside Outlook go to File > Options > Add-Ins and look under the Disabled Application Add-ins section. If you see Windows Search Email Indexer be sure to enable that.
That’s about it. You should be good to go on your awesome email searching functionality.