- ONETUG team graciously gave me time at the beginning of the meeting to talk about the upcoming SQLSaturday Orlando
- Asked them to attend – I think people like to be asked, and we really do want them to attend!
- Mentioned our paid seminars
- Asked them to mention the event to…
Tuesday we sent our metronomic email of the week. No huge call to action this week. My schedule called for a BI focus and I struggled to write it, so I changed to something I could write! We added in the reminder about oPASS/MagicPASS meetings, trying to reinforce the SQLSaturday… Read more
I was reading http://paultebraak.wordpress.com/2014/08/11/the-wisdom-of-the-tableau-crowd/ and, no disrespect intended at all to the Tableau universe, I was astounded to see that the Tableau Conference is bigger than the PASS Summit. Both are in Seattle (different dates), and the prices look to be similar ($1495 is the number I saw… Read more
More notes, hopefully not repeating any from previous posts!
- Karla has used the chart showing registration growth as a way to reinforce to sponsors that we’re on track for solid attendance. I suspect it also carries with it the impression that we’re engaged in trying to drive the number up,…
I just paused our first LinkedIn campaign, the one that was based on a functional area of IT in the Orlando area. We had one registration that had “LinkedIn” as the source, so we’ll say we converted 1 click to a registration for certain, possibly a few more. If all… Read more
Few things have more impact on our career than job titles. The job titles we’ve held tell future employers a lot about us, and job titles on positions we’re considering are the first visual filter we apply. Titles are the most abbreviated way there is of saying “I do this”… Read more
One of the better graphics I’ve seen in a Connector that shows the timeline:
- Should You Run for the PASS Board? How Do You Decide?
- Encourage Someone You Respect to Run for the PASS Board of Directors
- How to Encourage Someone to Run for the PASS…
- No viewed on LinkedIn yesterday. Increased the bid to $5 and now seeing views. Not sure it correlates, but probably. We’re up to two clicks now! I also added two ad variations that haven’t been approved yet. (chart below)
- The image with “Dimensional Modeling Seminar” went as our “email of…
First, a quick update on the LinkedIn advetising campaign. One click so far, no registrations. More views than I expected for a Sunday.
I drafted the next message to be emailed out this weekend and sent out for feedback. Good feedback on the first draft, made those changes… Read more
Received an email from LinkedIn that the ad was approved and so far we’ve spent a whopping 83 cents! Not expecting much more tomorrow (Sunday), but will be interesting to see how it does on Monday.
Today at lunch I looked at LinkedIn advertising. I only capture the last part to share here, but you put in a title, short text, and an optional image, then you narrow the geographical area and then pick a functional area OR job titles. LI says that nets out to… Read more
- Email with the schedule went out this week, nice bump in registrations – we’re at 229 today
- Mailed the list twice (bad) because the bulk loaded list is a subset of the attendee list (need to get the criteria for each list)
- More emphasis on Twitter this week, trying…
A recent Connector showed the following stats for SQLSaturday for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2014 and mentioned 86 events completed:
Impressive numbers to be sure, but are we adding events? Kendal Van Dyke sent me this projection he did while on the Board of Directors:
That… Read more
- In hindsight it’s easy to see we should have worked on the email template first, then the flyers. Email is our #1 way of communicating and it’s important to try to get as much out of it as possible.
- My original vision was to show the seminars as…
One of the many things we’re discussing going into the 2014 PASS election is what the planned two official campaign events should be. I asked on Twitter yesterday and got some good comments, still looking for more. Last year was (I think) the first year PASS hosted live events, one… Read more
How do you get the boss to pay for training? In my experience you have to:
- Ask. The boss isn’t sitting around thinking of ways to make your life better
- Align. Ask for training that is relevant, or show how it is relevant if not obvious
- Persist. Even if you…
Just the chart today. We’re considerably ahead of previous year registrations for the same number of weeks out. I’m looking at that number every day now!
We’re at 180 registered so far and we haven’t published the schedule yet! So far so good. We’re on track to have the schedule live at 60 days out, maybe a little bit sooner. For those not attending you don’t get to see our marketing messages, so I’m including screenshots… Read more
I was doing some work on the marketing for SQLSaturday Orlando and looked back at the messages we sent last year, and in one those messages I found this under the heading of “Invite a Friend”:
“New to SQL Server? Not new, but never been to one of these events…
I wrote What Is the Hardest Feature to Learn About SQL Server? not really knowing what answer to expect. So far no one topic has risen to the top of the list in the discussion. What about you, have you found some part of SQL really hard to learn?