I’ll be driving to Viera for the monthly Space Coast SQL Users Group meeting next week. Topic still to be decided, probably Learning Plans and something SQL, look for details on the web site today or tomorrow at http://spacecoast.sqlpass.org/.
Notes from a speaker/volunteer perspective:
- It was a lot of fun to talk to the students at our Student to IT Pro Seminar. Interesting to hear their questions, easy to forget what it’s like to be a true beginner. 70 people in the seminar. Win!
- I had about 20 in…
This past week we did our first try at the Student to IT Pro Seminar, run concurrently with SQLSaturday Orlando. You can read why we did it at http://sqlandy.com/2014/09/the-student-to-it-pro-seminar-were-doing-at-sqlsaturday-orlando/. Some notes on the experience:
- We registered 85, had about 70 attend
- Mostly students, but we had a few from…
This past Saturday we held our eight annual SQLSaturday. I’ll write some notes about the event and post today or tomorrow. The final registration count after marking 20-30 people as cancelled (things got hectic, was hard to track) was 640 (vs 344 last year) and our best effort on attendance… Read more
Here’s my wish list:
- Fix the membership problem. One voter, one vote. That’s what we want. The current hack of requiring an updated profile is just that, a hack. Fixing this, making sure that elections are solid and that members have one permanent PASS identity leads to all kinds of…
- We sent out a final you haven’t paid for lunch reminder on Wed, asked for a reply if they were planning to bring their own. 20 or so are, so far. We don’t mind that they do of course, but it’s really valuable information because it’s another block of…
Registration count after some cancellations now at 577, way above my goal of 500. We’ve decided not to spend on LinkedIn this week, our numbers are good and we’re not thinking it would drive a lot. Tough call. I’d like to find out, but agree it’s money we can spend… Read more
First, a reminder/disclaimer that I am serving on the PASS NomCom this year. The four candidates in the election are all qualified, I have no debate with that. I’ve waited until the slate was posted to make any public comment about the election. None of my comments here are based… Read more
It’s Saturday a week out and I’m trying to finish up messages for the week. A lot to send this week. Monday messages to the registered and not-registered list, one more lunch reminder, three sponsor email blasts, a big Friday reminder with lots of notes, and a Saturday morning “don’t… Read more
Ever since SQLSaturday #1 our venue has been Seminole State College (Seminole Community College back then), provided graciously and perhaps more importantly, at no charge. Finding a venue is a big deal when it comes to planning an event and finding one that’s free, that’s harder! Putting a bunch of… Read more
- Registration at 520. Not as big a bump this week as we expected, probably due to the message going out to the unregistered list Tuesday late afternoon, but equally possibly that we’re reached the ones that plan to go. I’m tempted to email again this week, but I…
A friend recently asked me about my involvement with PASS, and that lead to the two questions in the title. Why do I support PASS? Why do I criticize PASS? And there is one more that goes with it, do I balance criticism with praise? Interesting stuff.
First, for those… Read more
- I’ve got most of the messages up through Sep 27th drafted. Still need to tweak a couple, but close to done.
- Two messages going out tomorrow, one to the registered list and one to the – wait, yes – the unregistered list, then one on Wed for a call for…
We’ve just wrapped up the interviews and I wanted to jot down a few thoughts on what I’ve seen from using the process that we have today:
- The time requirement for the NomCom members seems reasonable
- We still have a lot of work on explaining the “why” of the tasks…
- Reg count at 479. Looking very good for hitting 500!
- First sponsor sent out a geo-targeted message for us, another one working on it, more to go. We wrote a ‘suggested’ message to decrease the friction. First vendor even sent back open rates on the email!
- Karla/Shawn dropped in at…
Ah, an interesting week for registrations. We’ve jumped to 426 registered, making my goal of 500 doable. The jump is in part due to timing, in part due to only having mailed to the “already registered” list only last week (a goof on my part). This week we’ll have two… Read more
I wrote Titles Matter – Part 2 based on lessons learned the hard way not long ago. Titles matter because they help the rest of the team understand where you fit in. Titles are the ultimate elevator pitch – this is what I do. I was pleased to see one… Read more
Last week we were at 332, this morning at about the same time we’re at 356. Not bad for a week that included Labor Day. Chart makes it look a little worse than it is, it shows the actual against the goal for the next report period.
Here’s… Read more
Registration is 332 as of 8 am on August 26. We added a whopping 40 registrations last week – a very good week! Our standard Tuesday email will go out about 10 am this morning with topics on MVP’s in attendance and lunch. On Friday we’ll have our first “special”… Read more