This Wednesday we’re having a special joint meeting of oPASS and MagicPASS featuring Microsoft GM Mark Souza. For the past couple months we’ve referred to it internally as “Operation Souza” as we discussed how to best support his visit and do the most for our local SQL community. We contacted… Read more
- Not a bad drive over from Orlando. Only a little traffic, about 80 minutes.
- I was early enough to have time to review my presentation and then work on the final marketing notes for SQLSaturday Orlando (good to have a few tasks queued when time appears)
- I stopped at Starbucks…
After finishing up six months of managing the marketing for SQLSaturday Orlando I’ve been going back through all my blog posts to outline stuff we (or any other event) can use next year. It’s not a complete project plan, but I hope it gives you some ideas and a… Read more
One of my current projects is PASSWatch. Right now it’s mostly aggregation which I think has value, but I hope to do more over time including news and maybe opinions. I get by on writing (and hope to get better at it), but I don’t know much about journalism.… Read more
One of the items I’ve had on my todo list for a while is to write up notes on the state of the admin tools for SQLSaturday as they pertain to marketing. For those who haven’t managed an event, SQLSaturday is really three different sites; the public facing one… Read more
Miscellaneous notes as I think on this.
I’ve been reading through feedback from the students. Reading the raw feedback is interesting and informative. I’ll try to recap some of the things I’ve seen so far:
- Some found it to be interesting and helpful to understand the career journey (in this…
We’ve got a good handful of events listed for After Hours so far, but couldn’t we have more? A couple thousand attend, a few hundred will be at these events, so there are plenty more opportunities. There’s nothing wrong with exploring Seattle, dinner with new friends, or whatever else, but… Read more
Quick note in case I need again some day. The team recently moved all the user databases for a monitoring instance to new hardware and it basically went well. Immediately afterward there were a number of error messages in the log about a missing user defined error message. Minus 5… Read more
For the fifth year Steve Jones and I are organizing the Monday Night Networking Dinner at the PASS Summit. It will be from 6-9 pm on Monday evening. I’m waiting on the “final” confirmation of the location but expect it be within walking distance of the Convention Center. It’s a… Read more
Took a break to check email and saw the confirmation that I was renewed for another year. Pleasant news for a Wednesday morning. Strange to realize this is my 7th time, where did the time go? I’ve certainly changed a lot in those years!
For those who aren’t MVP’s and… Read more
The Board of Directors has extended voting in the current election through October 14th. Read the post from President Thomas Larock about why and what you have to do to be eligible. Then head to Election HQ to review the candidates, ask questions, and read posts and endorsements from other… Read more
I’ll be driving to Viera for the monthly Space Coast SQL Users Group meeting next week. Topic still to be decided, probably Learning Plans and something SQL, look for details on the web site today or tomorrow at http://spacecoast.sqlpass.org/.
Notes from a speaker/volunteer perspective:
- It was a lot of fun to talk to the students at our Student to IT Pro Seminar. Interesting to hear their questions, easy to forget what it’s like to be a true beginner. 70 people in the seminar. Win!
- I had about 20 in…
This past week we did our first try at the Student to IT Pro Seminar, run concurrently with SQLSaturday Orlando. You can read why we did it at http://sqlandy.com/2014/09/the-student-to-it-pro-seminar-were-doing-at-sqlsaturday-orlando/. Some notes on the experience:
- We registered 85, had about 70 attend
- Mostly students, but we had a few from…
This past Saturday we held our eight annual SQLSaturday. I’ll write some notes about the event and post today or tomorrow. The final registration count after marking 20-30 people as cancelled (things got hectic, was hard to track) was 640 (vs 344 last year) and our best effort on attendance… Read more
Here’s my wish list:
- Fix the membership problem. One voter, one vote. That’s what we want. The current hack of requiring an updated profile is just that, a hack. Fixing this, making sure that elections are solid and that members have one permanent PASS identity leads to all kinds of…
- We sent out a final you haven’t paid for lunch reminder on Wed, asked for a reply if they were planning to bring their own. 20 or so are, so far. We don’t mind that they do of course, but it’s really valuable information because it’s another block of…
Registration count after some cancellations now at 577, way above my goal of 500. We’ve decided not to spend on LinkedIn this week, our numbers are good and we’re not thinking it would drive a lot. Tough call. I’d like to find out, but agree it’s money we can spend… Read more
First, a reminder/disclaimer that I am serving on the PASS NomCom this year. The four candidates in the election are all qualified, I have no debate with that. I’ve waited until the slate was posted to make any public comment about the election. None of my comments here are based… Read more