SQLAndy

I'm Andy Warren, currently a SQL Server trainer with End to End Training. Over the past few years I've been a developer, DBA, and IT Director. I was one of the original founders of SQLServerCentral.com and helped grow that community from zero to about 300k members before deciding to move on to other ventures.

Recommend a Book I Should Read

I read a lot and like to think my interests are wide, but I fall into ruts all the same. I like fiction, non-fiction, biographies mainly, and of course technical books – though those are rarely enthralling! You can see the list of some of what I’ve read here.

Books shape you, often in ways unexpected. I like books that encourage me to grow, celebrate the possibilities in what humans can do, help me understand why something happened or how to do something new. Over time it’s interesting to realize that I read books that tend to match how I’d like to be, and maybe to see that some parts of me are from from books that I treasure most.

So, I’m looking for ideas on stuff to read this year. No romance novels, no religion, no politics, no conspiracy theories, no Presidential biographies after Kennedy (recommend one for him), which will enable me to write about it if I read it. Plus, you have to have read it and think it was good. Post a recommendation and if I read it, I’ll give you credit for suggesting it, good or bad!

Comments

Posted by Jeremiah Peschka on 17 January 2010

On Writing Well by William Zinsser. I've read this book 4 times and every time I read it, it changes the way I look at things.

Posted by GilaMonster on 17 January 2010

Two recommendations (because you may have read the first)

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

My copy was a gift from a friend and there's a note in the front cover "I was going to get you Everything, but then wondered where you'd put it"

Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan

Posted by Steve Jones on 18 January 2010

Old Man's War - Sci fi

The Road - my wife recommends it.

Posted by ThomasLL on 19 January 2010

Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth

by Richard Foster

Posted by Kevin on 19 January 2010

"The Road" is definitely an awesome book and very likely one that, once you start, you will not put down until you finish.

However, I'd encourage you to read "The Ghost Map". It's an amazing true story of mid-1800's London and one of the first recorded applications of BI in which a renowned doctor and a concerned clergyman help thwart and then explain one of the last great plagues to strike England. Fascinating and quick read!

Best regards,

-Kev

Posted by Seth Phelabaum on 20 January 2010

Wizard's First Rule (Terry Goodkind) - Fantasy

It's the first of a 12 (13 if you count the short story prequel) book series and although I'd probably consider it my favorite series, even I have to admit the quality fluctuates quite a bit from book to book.  The first book is one of the best in the series though and I'd recommend it to anyone who like fantasy.