SQLAndy

I'm Andy Warren, currently a SQL Server trainer with End to End Training. Over the past few years I've been a developer, DBA, and IT Director. I was one of the original founders of SQLServerCentral.com and helped grow that community from zero to about 300k members before deciding to move on to other ventures.

PASS Update #5 (Blogger's Please Read)

We'll be announcing this on the main www.sqlpass.org site and the PASS blog over the next day or two, but the first major revision of the blog directory has been posted. We had many people email us their blog info, some sent OPML containing their feeds, and then we spent more time just doing searches and seeing what we could find. The result was a list of close to 190 blogs that seem to be SQL centric, and most have posts within the past 6 months (our window for listing). For lack of a better plan we've just listed them alphabetically by the name of the blogger. We're missing a couple of links that we'll get patched up in the next day or so.  We've also included a complete OPML file of the same listing so that you can load into the reader of your choice.

I've been monitoring the complete list over the past few days and I was definitely missing a few interesting bloggers - this is probably twice again the size of my personal feed list prior to the update. We're hoping that PASS members will enjoy the chance to discover blogs that they might not otherwise find.

If you're a blogger (or just happen to read one not on the list) and not on the list, please just drop me a note andy.warren at sqlpass.org, and we'll get it updated. Note that it's just a directory, no syndication.

This is my team's first deliverable for PASS and while it's not a huge thing, it's a service that makes sense for PASS to provide and one that we hope the entire SQL community will find useful. Let me know what you think.

Comments

Posted by Steve Jones on 10 February 2009

Congrats on meeting a goal here. Not sure how useful it will be, but it's a good list for me to check against for Database Weekly.

Posted by John Magnabosco on 11 February 2009

As the list grows larger you may consider categories to help the readers determine what they are interested in reading/following.

A rating system, a "This week's top 5 recommended blogs", or something along those lines would be worth considering.

This is a great asset to sqlpass.org!!

Posted by Andy Warren on 11 February 2009

John, I agree there are some things we can and should add. We'll start featuring blogs in the Connector within a few issues, and we'll work on announcing new blogs that we find/start up. Categories we'll work on, and probably break out at least non-English blogs from the others. We'll just try one thing at a time so that we're delivering steady improvement and not making too big an investment of time at any point - all volunteer driven.

Posted by Andy Warren on 11 February 2009

Steve, I guess usefulness depends on how into the blogs you are! Seriously, it's not something that people will use every day, but hopefully at times it will come in handy.

Posted by Grant Fritchey on 11 February 2009

Good job Andy. Activity & deliverables are a good thing. Look for mine soon.

Posted by siddhumehta on 26 February 2009

Hi Andy,

I have tried to contact PASS team via the PASS Website many times, but no one has even contacted me back. I joined PASS on LinkedIn and tried to make my blog addition request from there, but no response.

Can you please get my blog listed in the directory?

My Blog URL: siddhumehta.blogspot.com

Posted by Andy Warren on 26 February 2009

Siddhumehta - I reviewed your request earlier this week and approved it, but it looks like we need to work more on communication on our side. Right now we batch requests up and try to handle them about once a week, that will improve once we have a higher tech solution than we now have:-)