SQLAndy

I'm Andy Warren, currently a SQL Server trainer with End to End Training. Over the past few years I've been a developer, DBA, and IT Director. I was one of the original founders of SQLServerCentral.com and helped grow that community from zero to about 300k members before deciding to move on to other ventures.

PASS Board of Directors Part 5

Looks like I'm still in the game! Just received word from Kevin Kline (Past PASS President). Here are the candidates:

• Andy Warren
  • Douglas McDowell
  • Louis Davidson
  • Lynda Rab (incumbent)
  • Pat Wright (incumbent)
  • Thomas LaRock

And part of the confirmation included this:

"The entire slate is very competent with six candidates running for three at-large board seats.   Previous board elections have been low-key, but this election will be highly competitive.  Consequently, we encourage you to begin your campaign in a tasteful, but energetic fashion.  What is appropriate campaigning and what is not?  Blogging, hand-shaking, direct emails to your buddies, wearing a button at the Summit, and other such personal measures are fully appropriate in your “get out the vote” efforts.  Spam and shotgun-blast emails to large mailing lists, webpage ads and other impersonal measures are not appropriate."

Of course it's Friday and the Summit is next week, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get together much of a game plan for the campaign. I think I'll see if Steve Jones & Grant Fritchey want to be co-campaign managers!

Seriously, past elections have been almost pro forma, and I'm not sure this one won't be either. I think a fair way to proceed would be to have each candidate post a one page position statement on the PASS web site, that way everyone could at least compare apples to apples. If that doesn't work out, I'll need Plan B. Ideas anyone?

Comments

Posted by BEACHDBA on 14 November 2008

That really is short notice, but if you get buttons, I'll wear one or slap it on my backpack.

How about a "meet-the-candidate" event at a bar or coffee shop that is walking distance from the convention center (where those who show up buy their own coffee or beer)?  This would serve as an excuse for your blog readers to congregate, and give you a chance to reiterate your case and possibly pick up some more support.

I'd also like to see PASS give the candidates a minute or so during one of the "Opening Remarks" timeslots.  That would give folks a chance to put names to faces and hear your pitch.

Posted by Brad M. McGehee on 14 November 2008

If elected, how will this affect your SQLSaturday efforts?

Posted by Brent Ozar on 14 November 2008

Congratulations, man.  I agree about the one-page summary, I think that's a great idea.  To get the wheels turning, I'd start writing the post now.  If you blog it, other people like me would link to it in a heartbeat - the more educated the voters are, the better.

Posted by Grant Fritchey on 14 November 2008

Can I work for more than one candidate? I'd be glad to pitch in a bit. As to ideas... You could rent out the local football stadium, build a huge Grecian temple and invite all the Summit attendees over for a speech.

Posted by Andy Warren on 14 November 2008

Meet the candidate is a really good idea. There used to be a Starbucks on site, I'll check to see if still here and follow up a dedicated post.

I'll get busy on the one pager and get it posted something this weekend. Most of it in previous blog posts, but good to condense and smooth out a little.

Grant, work for as many as you can find time for! Though you may need to find a richer candidate than me if you want a Grecian temple.

Posted by Andy Warren on 14 November 2008

Brad, the SQLSaturday thing should be interesting. I let the nominating committee know of my involvement and that I don't intend to stop my efforts. PASS has a similar product that isn't as mature (in my view) so I'll recuse myself from voting on issues relating to it if it comes that.

I've said along that at some point I'd like to give the concept to PASS, but it's not mature enough and even with a lot of work it's not nearly the success I think it can be. When it's established, that's a good time for a handoff - not when in start up mode.