Here's a few of the new posts today on the forums. To see more, visit the forums.
shrink fails with error - File ID of database ID cannot be shrunk as it is either being shrunk by another process or is empty
- This is an fyi (no response necessary).
I got this error and researched it and found no good answer for how...
Can anyone please help me...I am new in SQL Server.
I have scheduled the database backup---
full backup-- everyday morning
differntial backup--every 2...
Differential Sizes Increase After Index Rebuild
- Hi Folks
I am trying to understand why my differential backups are almost as big as my full backups
after rebuilding the...
Cube question - Swapping Measure Depending on Dimension being used?
- Hi, I am using SSAS 2012.
I have been asked to see if it is possible to change the measure depending...
SSIS to Load selected CSV File columns into SQL Server 2008 database table
The source file format in CSV, lets assume it has following data
id name marks
1 a 100
2 b 90
I have created...
Best Practice for loading DW tables from live source with timestamp/Rowversion column to identify changes
- I want to build a DW and I need to identify records that have changed, and luckily each table in...
SSIS-Data in multiple .csv files to columns in same csv file
- Hi Everyone
I have the below problem,could anyone please suggest me a solution.
file 1 has below data
the data in the output...
Sharepoint database 'docs' corruption ... what if?
- Long story short :D
We inherited a sharepoint database on SQL2k with corruption dating back 2 years (so no usable backups)....
SSIS package run error
- Hi All
I am trying to run a package which reads data from Oracle using Select Statement. used "Oracle provider for...
I need to create an XML file populated by fields data(eg: SQL Server DB table)
- I have the following XMLSchema template:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<DataMarketsFeed xmlns="http://www.test.co.uk/XMLSchema/DataMarketsFeed-v1-2" xmlns:cmn="http://www.test.co.uk/XMLSchema/DataFeedCommon-v1-2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
Report executing but not finding a stored procedure during Verify Database
- Please disregard this question. (Mods, delete?) I misinterpreted my results, it's definitely on the Crystal side. My apologies.
Part time Data Entry Clerk from home !
- :-) Position Type: Part time Home based data entry clerk jobs.
Details: Earn money from home simply posting ad on free classifieds...
PROBLEMS WHEN UPDATING LINKED SERVER WITH MSSQL DATABASE
- I have a linked server (mysql) and I want to update some colums with the information on MSSQL information
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server " " returned message "No transaction is active."
- I have linked a local SQL 2005 Standard Server 32-bit Unclustered to a remote SQL Server 2005 Standard 64-bit Clustered...
Import Excel 2010 file, and return an wrong row count
- Hi,I am trying to load a excel 2010 file to sqlserver2005, I used visual studio 2005 and excel datasource, the...
SSIS Integration Task
- I have used SSIS a while ago where my requirement was to create a new table out of the excel...
configuring ssis pakage for environmental variable
- I want proper steps to configure package for environmental variable and deploy that package and run it on another machine...
SQL VDI issue
- Hi ,
Am using SQL server 2005 version in my project..
We have configured the backups using the Data protector tool. For...
Create FInancial week Dynamic based on parameter
- Hi all,
I need to generate the financial week but in my case the starting month of the financial week...
how to identify last mod datetime for sp?
- Hello - What's the easiest way to identify the last modified datetime of a stored procedure through SSMS?
sql and msbi basic concept for beginners...plz share your ideas about this two topics
- hi frndz plz share ur idea regarding year syntax in sql how to add this one
- when i'm looking at stored procedures i add the following to the top of the code
set statistics io on
Import Excel File to SQL Server
- I am having trouble while importing excel file to SQL Server.
When I import...it comes as
Just number "2" doesn't comes.
Red Gate Sql Monitor Alert is downgraded but still shows as HIGH
I have been reorganising/rebuilding some indexes due to high fragmentation due to an alert generated by Red Gates sqlmonitor.
variables and Escape quotes
- I am trying to create a variable like the following in a WHERE clause
DECLARE @Test AS VARCHAR(90)
SET @Test = '2003 OR...
Access Provisioning Tools
- Hi Folks,
Can you suggest some of the best tools available in the market which offers the easiest way to provide...
Adding text to Rank
- Hi All,
Please i need help to complete this query, what it does is that it ranks some records which works...
add a new column with its columnName and aliasName
i want to create a new column (through a vb.net app) for a table . the problem is that i...
- Hello All,
Is it advisable to use management data warehouse to track the database growth?
The steps for configuring seem to be...
SSIS export to Tab Delimited Text file
I was asked to make an SSIS package that extracts Supplier data from the source db and export the data...
Get who eliminated a default trace.
Is there any way that i can find who have eliminated a default trace from a machine?
The point is...
execute ssis package in sql server 2008 r2 error
When I executed my SSIS package in BIDS successfully but when I try to schedule to execute my SSIS package...
Alter Stored Procedure to only update changed values
My Problem is that Data-Updates are done via an .asp-Application which uses a Stored Procedure to update Records in our...
Chinese Language and Decoding.
- Dear Gurus,
Your suggestion is required. Our team wants to override “windows regional language Settings” for Chinese Language by applying encoding...
SQL Server 2008 Audit
- Hi Guys,
I wish to audit all the activities performed by users having sysadmin role.
Is there any straight foward way to...
Running DTS packages on 2008 R2
- Hope someone can help me on this one
We have a 2008 R2 cluster which failed over recently, a number of...
Failed to initialize the Common Language Runtime (CLR) v2.0.50727 with HRESULT 0x80004005
- This lovely error happens frequently when I need to add articles to my transactional replication setup. After making the changes...
Changing a user defined data type definition
- I recently had cause to change the definition of a user defined data type and was I suppose intrigued by...
Replication subsystems failed to load
- I am running SQL 2008 Enterprize Edition with SP1 on Windows 2008. I am trying to set up replication. I...
Implicit Update in TRY..CATCH can it become uncommitable
- Hi All,
My question is could this statement cause an uncommitable transaction and subsequent leave transaction in an open state where...
Changing a varchar column with money values in, into a decimal data type
- Ive been given a data set to work with with a column for money.
This column is basically a mess but...
Unknown Syntax for me ;With
- Dear all,
I got following code in one procedure and did not get why its use and what is it for...
Count Number Of Investors in fund
Please help me with this :
I need to take count of investors invested and having balance in Funds:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 by date...
Limit count of user work with my DB (by C#)
I have sql server DB and C# Application.
How can I restricted count of user who use from my DB?
convert varchar to date
- I would like to convert a varchar column to datetime.
The varchar column are supposed are be like a date : 2013-05-12
need help with trigger
- I have a strange requirement. This is a code issue but i am looking for a work around from daatabase...
Extracting files from "binary" stored in TEXT datatype
- I've been asked to look into extracting files (mostly jpg or pdf) from a database where the files are stored...
Installing Oracle 11g Client in a sql server 2008R2 active/passive Clustered Environment
- I'm trying to get a step-by-step approach to installing Oracle 11g Client in a sql server 2008r2 Active/Passive Clustered Environment....
What would you do?
- Virtualisation again, sorry! I have done a search but this is more about how to handle a particular issue at...
Copy table+values from one server to another
- This might be the dumbest question ever, but I really don't know/remember how this is done.
Let's say you've got 2...
- I have this sqlquery that I am writing:
[code="vb"]Private Sub Command1_Click ()
Dim Irepsonse as Integer
Iresponse = msgbox("press a button", vbabortretryignore, "Chapter 4")
mdf file growing
I am new in SQL Server. I have a database whose size is almost 25 GB, there log size 18...
SQL vs LINQ
- Is SQL becoming outdated soon ??? AS new LINQ is all around us....
Do we have to learn LINQ for future...
- When I am typing in a new sqlquery how can I turn on the syntax check option or whatever it...
- I have a SQL server express that I'm using to learn how SQL server works. Up till this point I've...
When to use Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)?
- My company has been getting a lot of requests from our clients to put into place more stringent security practices....
Database state (Principal, Synchronized
I have four databases (size between 20MB to 1300MB) which has (Principal, Synchronized) next to there name And on the...
High Memory utilization alerts in SQL Server 2008
We are getting alerts from our monitoring tool Idera SQL Diagnostic manager ( which is use as monitoring and notification tool...
SQL Profiler sp_trace_setfilter parameters
I am trying to exclude some users from being captured from a trace.
If the traceid I have is 2
Refresh tables from production to Dev
I have a requirement to refresh some tables in dev from prod...and we need to do this every week...so i...
Resource Governor - how to see what workload group current connections are in?
- We just enabled resource governor and monitoring it via perfmon and the DMVs. Through the DMVs, I can see active...
The instance of the SQL Server Database Engine cannot obtain a LOCK resource at this time. Rerun your statement when there are fewer active users. Ask the database administrator to check the lock and memory configuration for this instance, or to check for long-running transactions.
- I am using MSQL 2008 R2. I am getting the below error
"The instance of the SQL Server Database Engine...
reduce impact performance impact on the OLTP SQL database
Our client occasionally needs to load very large transaction files into their OLTP SQL database during periods of heavy “live”...
optimize the schema definition
- 1. How would i optimize the following schema definition?
CREATE TABLE dbo.Orders (
RowID INT IDENTITY NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED,
deploying changes to a live database
What are some major risks for deploying changes to a live database, and how would we mitigate them?
a. Stored procedure changes?
send me som sample type of tickets
- generally as a DBA what type of tickets we will get....? send some samples
Need advice of hardware configuration of SQL server in production environment
- Dear All,
We are having a SQL server which is being used through out day and night from local and outside...
SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence of I/O Requests taking longer than 15 seconds
- I am running SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 x64 and we just increased the RAM to 32GB (against my wishes)...
MAXDOP settings for OLAP
Does anyone have any idea what is the better way to set MAXOP settings for OLAP system. Here is my...
- if Temp Db full which databases will go Offline?
How to copy .bak files on an external drive which is not part of domain but requires authentication?
- We are looking for a solution to copy .bak files on external network drive which does not allow access without...
SQl Agent job when query fails to return result
I am trying to put in place a job which will email me when a query fails to return results:...
Export table in to txt
- dear Gurus,
I want to export data in table to txt
the result :
2013-05-13 00:14:00.000 290 bjm 261651
2013-05-13 00:29:00.000 226 bjm 203767
Moving from Standalone to clustered SQL
- Hi -
We have a standalone SQL box that we need to migrate all the DBs to a new clusted environment...
Does BACKUP use the transaction log?
I noticed several autogrowth events for the transaction log file of a database shortly after its backup job started. I've...
How can I kill ad-hoc or long time running queries, safely?
Need the final push on this ...
I do have a requirement at work that I need to control or kill...
Can't Kill SPID “Transaction Rollback in Progress”
- I'm running into frequent Blocking on a Development Server.
I have been correctly the code or making recommendations to prevent this...
Connecting to SQL Server from a Visual Studio 2012 Express Class
- Can anyone tell me how to create a connection to SQL Server from a class created in VB in Visual...
LINQ vs SQL
- Is SQL becoming outdated soon ??? AS new LINQ is all around us....
Today's Random Word!
When you woke up today, or logged-onto Opera Forums, you may have had a dream, a thought, a scene...
Are the posted questions getting worse?
- Is it me, or are the posted questions getting worse these days?
I just read a post by someone apparently in...
SSRS 2012 - Export to Excel
- We just upgraded SSRS 2005 to SSRS 2012. We have reports that contain a page break on grouping. Since the...
Help with setting LinkTarget=_blank to open URLs in new window
- I want to change links on one report to open in a new window. I have read enough to know...
I would like to have an SSRS report export data to Excel every two hours
I would like to have an SSRS report export data to Excel every two hours and add the data to...
Report Manager DSN Problem
I have created a DSN (using sybse db) and develop report in SSRS 2008R2. Reports working fine in BIDS. Now...
Permission by department manager from single report to view.
We are using SSRS 2005 and I have a report I want to give access to 5 different managers the...
I am wondering if anyone has experience with AppAssure and disaster recovery of SQL Server databases? I have googled (a...
SSIS foreach loop timeout error
- I have a ssis package with foreach loop.
The connection times out after some 50 files for processed when the loop...
- Hello All,
I have a package that downloads a lot of csv files and transfers their contents into a database. For...
The column "Column 2" cannot be processed because more than one code page (65001 and 1252) are specified for it.
- I get this error if i try to import a tab delimited flat file to a table in sql server.
MDX 101 Question
- Anyone know why the following doesnt work?
} ON ROWS,
[Measures].[Mea_1] ON COLUMNS
This keeps throwing the following exception:
Query (2, 2)...