Here's a few of the new posts today on the forums. To see more, visit the forums.
Log size is Big
- i am new in DBA.
If in a database MDF file Size is 10 GB and LDF file size is 50...
1 sp out of 4 not executing even though user has execute permissions on all 4
- We have permissions set up so users have permissions only on stored procs. I have a role set up with...
create report with date suffix
- I need to create a report & run weekly to output to file on server with filename_date×uffix.txt.
The original report (which is...
We are also getting similar error on our SQL server in cluster environment
TCP connection closed but a child process...
My MSDB Database is over 25 GB on production server
- The following tables are consuming alot of space in the msdb database.
Need some help with an odd issue
- I've tried everything i could find so far same thing access denied.. anyone else have this issue before?
Error:Cannot connect to...
Error using sp_send_dbmail
- Hi everybody. I have a problem I am connecting to Database with user 'rpp' and when execute this code:
sql auditing triggers
I have to write DDL trigger in sql 2005, using CLR feature. Can anyone provides help in this regard
HOW run ssis package on table update
i have created ssis package to move data from one table to other in different instances when i update...
Difference between ODS and Datawarehouse
- Hi All,
Can any one tell the difference between ODS(Operational Data Store) and Datawarehouse?
When do we go for ODS and when...
Retrieving data from other tables, using row data as fields
- I have a temp table that I created that has the field name and table name that I want to...
Copy tables from one database to another
- Anyone know how I can easily copy selected tables from one database to another? (different servers).
In Enterprise Manager it was...
Failed to notify ''operator name'' via email?
- Following command sends email fine:
EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_notify_operator @name=N'operator name',@body=N'test
However, SQL Job with a notification to above operator doesn't work.
- Hello All,
I hope and I'm sure to find an answer with all the experts on this forum.
Well this is the...
Problem with "If Exists (Select ...) Or Exists (Select ...)"
- Does anybody know why the following
If Exists (Select *
From Inserted I
Join dbo.T_PaymentItemGroup PIG On PIG.PaymentItemGroupID = I.PaymentItemGroupID
Or Exists (Select *
sql server memory
- Hi All,
I am not sure if this is a fair ask or no but this is something i want to...
When to Index
- I have both reporting and operational systems..
So looking at each system.. what becomes a good point for indexes?
(see query at...
How to check when was the last Time re-indexing was performed on a DB
- hello All,
Can someone suggest me a scrpit or a command that can provide me information about last time re-indexing performed...
ADO.NET Destination Custom Propertiees?
- Hi I tried to loading xml into Oracle table using SSIS,
OLEDB destination wont support, so I use ADO.Net Destination,
How to make group of continuous tasks to execute based on single condition
- Hello All,
Could you please help me out here, i am totally stuck here,
i have total 20 tasks in my ssis...
How to know which DTSX file was deployed in a server.
- Hi all!!!
I inherited an interface process (Oracle text file to SQL Server table) which uses a SSIS 2005 package...
SSIS & Environment Variables
- I've been struggling w/ some quirky issues lately regarding use of environment variables with package configurations in my SSIS packages.
atomic value update?
- I have an application that needs to make an atomic update to an item in a table. It has to...
I'm totally new to SQL Server *.sql command files. I'd like to create a SQL file that runs the initialisation...
Anyway to write VB/C#/C++ scripts in SQL 2000? Need financial calculations (IRR, NPV, etc)
- I'm working on a SQL 2000 database server (I know .. but it is what it is unfortunately), and I need...
- Hi All
create table tab1 (forumId int Primary key,ParentId int,HitNumber int)
insert into tab1
select 3, 9, 119 UNION ALL
select 4, NULL, 88 UNION ALL
select 5, NULL, 72...
Why in recovery for so long if database is in SIMPLE mode
I have a database thats just undergone a very large insert into a table. The instance was restarted and now...
- Hi all,
In failover cluster environment, If automatic failover happened, whether sql server will create fresh tempdb or not?
SSMS is hanging
- we have a requirement to configure Linked server by using oracle provider . when we tried to configure linked server by...
SQL Trace - How to interpret the Reads column
I'm playing around with SQL traces, and trying to understand what exactly it's returning.
For now, I'm looking at the Reads...
How to display column_names based on condition
- Hi Sql Server Team,
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Am having below table
Col_1 Col2 Col3
100 Prod Ext
101 Sales Exd
102 Mark Tet
103 Purc Ket
i want to query to display the column_names
Eg_1: if table1.col_1 contains 100...
sql query writing12
- hi frieds i have small doubt in sql server plese tell me how to solve this
table data contains like
- Hi, I want to create trigger when i fore below code it should keep track of it..
SP_CONFIGURE 'SHOW ADVANCED OPTION',1
Serach for a particular string in different columns in a table
is there a simpler way to search for a partcular string in different columns in a table. currently I have...
How to extract the paricular values from a string
We have the below file names
File Name1 = 'XX_YYYYY_AA_BBB_SampleTransaction_120807_55322.TXT'
File Name2 = 'XX_YYYYYY_DDD_MasterTransaction_120807_00005.TXT
Need to extract the file names as below
File Name1 = XX_YYYYY_AA_BBB_SampleTransaction
understanding client statistics information in sql 2008
- I just want to know how exactly client statistics works and as DBA for query performance what parameter has to...
- I receive this error when inserting in the database. I know my dates are good.
SqlDateTime overflow. Must be between...
MCTS Certificate for SQL Server 2008
- Hi all,
I have a plan to get MCTS certificate for SQL Server 2008. As I knew, I must pass 3...
Odd table sizes
- I have a table, I'll call it "X", in a database which is replicated to another server via Merge replication....
=IIF(Fields!urgency_level.Value = 2 and Fields!DateDifference.Value <=2, Fields!NeedUrgentDates, 1) Errors, but does not give me an error code
- =IIF(Fields!urgency_level.Value = 2 and Fields!DateDifference.Value <=2, Fields!NeedUrgentDates, 1)
gives me "Error" on output, but there are no error codes. The syntax checks...
Adjacency list / linked list / hierarchical data SELECT
- I'm working on a SELECT statement to get all employees that are under the CEO Al Knowing. Ultimately these tables...
- Other than issues with sorting and MAX, are there any potential issues with using something like CONVERT([varchar](10), datetimefield, 101) which...
Index usage and RID lookup.
- Hello All,
An index with three fields, A,B,C
A selection with
SELECT * FROM A_TABLE WHERE A = 6 AND C =7
Generate Months from unique records with different date ranges
I have a database that records contracts and their amounts (each contract has a start and end date); each contract...
- My client "My 1st" has a sql database with many, many null values in each table. Its because they do...
I NEED HELP WITH SQL EXPRESS 2008 R2
- I am a newbie just been doing this for about 3 mo's.
I installed sql and all went well. During setup...
Restoring a database a Server using a Remote Server as the Service call
- My coworker are brainstorming some ideas because our network is divided geographically.
One question we are pondering is if you...
Table Variable Parameters - Odd design choices or am I just not finding the answer
- So, I'm currently looking over some 2k5 to 2k8 upgrades we're doing (yeah, I know) and I'm reviewing using table...
weird memory usage on sql server
- Hi Folks,
I got this weird issue on sql server.
I am running window 2008 r2 enterprise 64 bit with 8 gb...
SQL Server 2008R2 'Web Edition' License Query
- Hi All
I have what seemingly is a pretty basic query however dont seem to beable to get a definative answer...
SQL Server Collation (ASCII Table sort and Case Insensitive/Accent Insensitive)
- Hi everybody :-),
I have an issue about SQL Server Collations.
Our owned programmed database use Case-Insensitive/Accent Insensitive data ordered like...
Why no Index Scan?
- Hi All!
Hoping someone can help us understand this.
IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb.dbo.Covered') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE Covered
IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb.dbo.Included') IS NOT NULL...
Need to find out whether date is of which data type
- Suppose I have a variable which contains date value in a string format.
eg: declare @value1 varchar(50) = '2013-01-08 15:44:12.2081606 +05:30'
Deadlock In SQL
- Hi Guys,
Need urget help Please. I am running SP on SSMS everytime i run that SP getting Error "Msg...
Tally Calendars and 'Week 1'
- Hey guys,
I know there's been a few discussions on here about tally calendars and their use, I've got one on...
help me remove key lookups from the query below
I have a stupid written query. I saw that 99% of the cost is going into key look ups... i...
top 10 product in each month each year
i have two tables
what i want is top 10 product...
Puzzle: vertex covers in SQL
- I have to do a book chapter on graph database. I already did “The Kevin Bacon” problem in SQL for...
Using Results from one column to calculate another column
- Doing this in SQL 2008.
Is it possible to use the results of one column to calculate another column? Example:
Select .. VERY...
return zero for months where no data exsits
I have a table (Users) with rows containing data about registered user,
Table Columns: UserId, RegisteredDate
I want to know how many...
Connecting to multiple sql servers
I'd like to connect to multiple databases on different servers all from the same query. So, is it possible to...
Oracle 9i to sql server 2008 migration
- I want to migrate from Oracle 9i to Sql server 2008 using SSMA. Please let me know what steps will...
SQL transactional replication to Oracle 11g server taking slower than normal
- Hi, I have a push transactional replication set up that pushes to a Oracle 11g db. What used to take...
- Hello Masters,
What exactly "Update static" is ? Is it just removing fragmentation from database that is created by DML queries? Is...
- DBCC CheckDB job failed last night. This is SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition 64 bit environment. The message / solution indicated...
Decimal separator missed when pasting into excel from sql query
- I have an sql query which returns some numeric values that sql server is representing with a decimal point. Since...
Cluster on SQL Server 2008 R2
- Hello Masters,
I have clusters on sql server 2008R2, I am learner for clustering on sql. So can you pls guide...
Create Table and Bulk Insert
- Hi guys,
I have a .csv file wich has the following information (exactly like this):
List Name: User
Users, Groups, and Schemas
- Hi guys,
I've got the following problem that I need help with:
Our team can be roughly divided into 2 groups:
LOG SHIPPING by two different systemt architecture?
Can we able to configure for LOG SHIPPING by two different systemt architecture?
System type – windows 2008 R2 enterprise edition...
Changing SSAS instance from stand-alone to cluster
I have a 2 node Active/Passive cluster mounted in Windows Server 2008 R2. Currently on the active node there's...
Vertical Partitioning with transactional replication
- I have a publisher and a subscriber database under transactional replication. The schemas are identical. One of the tables has...
Reasonable Max Memory Usage?
- Hey Everyone :-),
I wanted to try setting the max memory usage on my test environment as currently sqlservr.exe is using...
VL Read Only DB
- Hi experts,
We have a 4.3 TB database ,can i restore it to another server which is having only 4.3 TB...
SQL Server service is not stopping
- There was a bottleneck in a server.
In order to avoid that I have changed some configuration changes in the Server...
Login with SA acct failed
- Hi All,
Here is a scenario that I am going through and need your opinion on this.
One of the app guy...
SQL Agent Job - T-SQL Job Step Question
- I am sure I read somewhere that when executing other jobs from the steps of one job, that the main...
Full Backup stopped prior to completion
- Hello --
The scheduled Full Backup of one of our databases failed due to a stop job request. The log file...
SSRS 2008 - How to handle subscriptions on 2 instances of SSRS on a cluster?
- Hi all,
I ran into an interesting question from a developer on how to handle subscriptions on 2 instances of...
Big DB with lots of free space. Can I shrink?
- I'm a new hire (developer....there are no DBAs) on a project whose database occupies 370GB on a drive with 1GB...
BackupExec SQL Agent or SQL Server Native backups????
- I'm looking after a whole bunch of SQL Servers, both 2005 and 2008, some full and some simple recovery databases...
adding space to tempdb
- In order to avoid any failure please add some space to tempDB database on xyz server. I am a new...
Partition including refernce tables and multiple keys
- Hi All,
We are planning to partition our table which have many reference tables. Is it possible to have multiple keys...
SQL Server 2008 R2 TEMPDB massive autogrowth suddenly.
- Today while i was at lunch, TEMPDB had massive autogrows until it filled the disk it sits on. When i...
Database Mail e-mail notifications not being sent on completion of backup jobs
- Hello --
I configured our backup jobs to send notifications to the administrators on their respective completion. However, the notifications have...
- I am hearing this term "big term" very loud these days. Everybody is talking about it. Does any one know...
How's this for a Job Description
- So I recently got this job description in the mail and at first glance it looks pretty good, but at...
Are the posted questions getting worse?
- Is it me, or are the posted questions getting worse these days?
I just read a post by someone apparently in...
Need help in giving the expression for background color for a column
- Hi All,
I have a column 'RunTime' with following format of data in it. I need to give an expression...
SQL Report with multiple matrix
- I have a matrix reporting data by week by location. The matrix works great for this. The challenge, however, is...
Help needed to trobleshoot opening Report manager Url
- hi All, Some one deleted the internal folders of the 'C:\Users\' and I'm facing issues opening the Url.
I'm getting the...
access to report server url
- Using SQL SERVER 2008r2 Reporting Services. I accessed my report server url using my admin credentials. I used New Role...
I've started using a SEQUENCE in a table instead of an identity.
I seem to be experiencing problems of the sequence...
How to get the data in destination database immediately when source table updates?
- We have 2 databases Source Database and Destination Database, We want to transfer data from source table records to destination...