Here's a few of the new posts today on the forums. To see more, visit the forums.
SQL Server services failing
- Please assist my SQL Server service is failing to start after power cut.
TITLE: Surface Area Configuration
An error occured while performing...
Rebuild the log file to reduce VLFs
- Hi all
So I've been poking around one of the databases and as part of my ongoing health checks, I reviewed...
sql server memory usage - does it ever use page file?
Lets say my physical box has 64 gb RAM and out of that 52 gb is assigned to sql server....
Unable to start SQL agent with domain account
I've recently changed our SQL services to run under domain account instead of the local account they used to use....
Isolation level using linked server
- Our situation:
- our EPR system uses Progress database (blackbox for me, don't even know where it is installed)
- on a...
SnapManager for SQL job
- Hi....I am new to Snapmanager for SQL jobs trying to find a solution for my issue. I run the SnapManager...
Dynamic columns SSRS
- Please check the attachment.in my SSRS report i can hide/display Months columns based on input parameter "columns. "Total" column should...
Connection Manager Issue
- Hi All,
while am to test the connection of my package, getting an error message:
The connection Failed bacuase of an...
Run Multiple SQL Queries
- I am new to SSIS so need help with some issues. Creating a task which involves running multiple sql queries...
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally
- Dear All,
Could someone please advice on this.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
Msg 845, Level...
Copy DB Tables from PRod to DEV
I have situation that my developer wants some tables from Prodction DB server to their desktop m/c.
We have already sql...
multipart identifier could not be bound
- create table s(sid int, sno int)
create table t(sid int, sno int)
insert into s(sid,sno) values (1,1001)
insert into s(sid,sno) values (2,1002)
Regarding stored procedure
- alter proc procstudent1
alter table student
add place varchar(30)
exec procstudent1 @proctamil=57
Msg 2705, Level 16, State 4, Procedure...
Regarding stored procedure
- I am using two sql statements in stored procedure,
the two sql query is update and alter.
in some times i need...
Cannot retrieve data from the database
- Here is the code I am using to retrieve data that I have seen on the database:
<!-- #INCLUDE FILE="sqlconnect.asp" -->
HI can any one say what is the use of these in detail
- HI can any one say what is the use of these
1 SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON
2 SET SHOWPLAN_ALL OFF
A very tricky query--please help
- I have a table as follows
id firstname lastname
1 Jay Jones
2 Nancy Cartwright
3 Carlos Ruiz
4 Steve Shepperson
The other table is as...
need one doubt clarification application team trying to execute a simple query
- hi all
need one doubt clarification
application team trying to execute a simple query
but its taking long time
i tried evry thing
Conversion of DTS 2000 Packages to SSIS Pcakages in SQL 2008
- Hi ,
I have 65 DTS:2000 packages in our project. I just want to convert all these packages to SSIS packages...
Data Import from CSV file
- I have a CSV file which is having record like mentioned below.
UserName User Id Type
RamKumar ram MSAD
RamaC rama MSAD
RamesK rames MSAD
Rameshv ramesh MSAD
RamKumar ramp PCG
Ramig rami ...
not quite sure if this is info info...but i wanna convert this sp to an append sp.
with rows as (
select query for overlap date range!!!
can any one please help me in giving the solution with an sql statement which returns the overlapping date ranges
how to create a flat file from SQL tables
I am trying to create a flat file from a database. I am just learning how to work on sql...
Use 'case-when' But error conditions overlap in query.
- I try 'case when' with 'null' and 'not null' set to value 'ErrorCode' field.
[code="sql"]EmpNo|ChkDate |ChkIn |ChkOut |ErrorCode
00001|2012-10-01 00:00:00.000|2012-10-01 07:21:00.000|2012-10-01 17:05:00.000|0
Specify multiple file extensions in maintenance cleanup task
Is it possible to specify more than one file extension in a single Maintenance Cleanup Task or do you have...
How do I lock Queries
How do I lock Queries?
Transfer Data from Table to TextFile
- how to transfer data from table to textfile with upto date range.
Would you store foreign key from grandparent tables? Why or why not?
- I'm curious about potential ramifications of storing a foreign key that is derivable.
For example, consider that we have traditional 3...
New login & Access to DB
- Hi Friends,
i have asked to perfrom a task to create a New login & then provide the access rights to a...
Logging field changes in table using triggers or service broker
- When someone changes a value in a table I want to retain the old value(s) for a time in a...
Logical Query Processing
- Dear all,
It was my understanding that when processing a query the order in which it is processed is FROM, JOIN,...
TSQL Problem: Week between 2 different months
I have a script problem.
I calculate data per week (group by week)
However, for indicators, I have business rules which apply...
SQL Server responds to overwhelming network traffic by shutting down
- Dear Everyone,
We had a network issue this morning, which resulted in extraordinary levels of network traffic for a short while....
- My Sql Server Buffer I/O wait is very high
I have 390 GB RAM
I set the sql server min 300 gb...
Huge difference for same operator in different environment
We have the same query performing differently in DEV and QA environment with 99% identical data. DEV was restored from...
Database Backup Strategy
Currently we are taking full database backup twice. There is no log backup in our plan. If transaction log grows...
More or less SARGABLE clauses in a WHERE Clause
- Question - Is it better to have more SARGABLE Clauses in a WHERE Statement OR less to find a record(s).
Database Mirroring Testing & Configuration
1. I want to configure database mirroring with automatic failover option. Now I backup database and log file from Principal....
Alter TempDB !! Same disk or seperate ??
- i read an article [url]http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/A-SQL-Server-DBA-myth-a-day-(1230)-tempdb-should-always-have-one-data-file-per-processor-core.aspx[/url] where this was quoted [quote]Depends why you're adding files. If you're adding files just to...
Log File Reuse Reason Explain
If I execute the following query,
select name, log_reuse_wait, log_reuse_wait_desc from sys.databases[/code]
The result looks alike,
Now my query is when does...
bringing consecutive days on the same row as start date and end date
- I want group data so that the consecutive days for same Location and Contac tName come on one row as...
Shrink database after archiving
- We've archived massive chunk of data from two databases on a SQL instanace. Now want to shrink the database to...
How to join multiple rows of subtable to parent table
- I have 2 related tables and the second table can have many rows associated with the parent table. I need...
Detect change of month and year in datestamp
- I have a table with datestamp entries as below
SELECT st.startup_Time FROM #KWHtemp st
Calculated for the two columns of the table
- I have two columns.
Name column 1 is F1
Name column 2 is F2
I would calculate two columns
And the third field to...
Amount of data
- I was wondering if there is a way to "trap" or track the amount of data (in bytes) that a...
- I have a requirement where i need to take daily backup with datetime stamp , the issue is we have limited...
how to write a stored procedure to check if the members membership has expired
- i have a table named users where i have two three column userid, email, membershipexpiry
i want to write a stored...
LIKE with and without wildcards in WHERE clause
- I have a set of pretty well tuned queries with indexes and all the appropriate trinkets. This is a 'last...
SQL Trace causes application to hang
We've recently upgraded to Windows 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008 R2 SP + CU4, multi-instance cluster. 32 cores (64 with h/t),...
Iterating thru a Tables columns
- I have a dataset that i need to iterate thru in a row wise manner where each row has columns...
How to check mirrored database
I have implemented database mirroring with automatic failover option. My principal database is a busy one. Now I am not...
rebuild index worsens query performance
- we have a query which runs several times a day
reads from several tables in one database ("W"), and two tables...
NOLOCK Hint Corrupts Results from SELECT
Good day fellow SQL Server Enthusiasts,
I'm having an issue with the NOLOCK query hint causing erroneous joins. In a nutshell,...
Merge replication changing the distributor
- I have a client who has a single SQL server that is currently their OLTP database server and is handling...
Master Data Services Complicated Business Rules
- We are investigating the use of Master Data Services at my company. One of the stumbling blocks I've run into...
Sql Query - get most recent data and put record numbers into columns
- I am not sure exactly how to phrase what I am asking so thanks for looking and I will try...
- I have table with 20k records. I want to delete 20k-1000 records from the table. i.e keep the top 1000...
Update null to unknown in a table for all the columns
i need query to update all the columns which ever carrying null to 'unknown' using a single query or procedure...
read UNCOMMITTED run slower than read COMMITTED
I have the following query which runs considerably slower when we change the isolation level to read uncomitted, I just...
Update statement question
- I'm doing a DB review and have always been taught to write updates with a Join like using this syntax.
Exercises in t-SQL
- I'm in the process of setting up a training environment here, it's a mechanism for me to bring high flyers...
How to create a marker field based on data
- I have a dataset for students and they have either selected 'Math' or 'Science' or both.
So I have 2 rows,...
Alternative to views
- Databases in our servers communicate with each other using views. For instance, dbA has views that gets data from db2...
Limit Concurrent Logins by database and/or user ID
- In my environment I have a sql server 2008 database on 64bit architecture. The production database accessed by users is...
Cannot Repair or remove node
- I have a 2 node cluster. When I move the instance of SQL from node B to Node A, SQL...
Sudden failover in veritas cluster
- hello experts,
In one of my critical production erver veritas clustering configured, yesterday sundden failover happened and now its runing on...
How to change the subject of alert email in SQL SERVER 2008 R2
I have set up some alerts for mirroring monitoring, and in case of failure we recieve notification emails.Is there...
Mirroring configure HA and DR
Database have been configured High availability in same datacenter by using database mirroring..
For the anohter requirement the same principal database...
Cost threshold for parallelism
- Hi all
When dealing with the Cost threshold for parallelism, I am almost certain that the [i]Cost[/i] is not an amount...
Here is the database settings:
There is domainName\users unders security\ logins.
db_owner is NOT checked for database1
Then I go to database1, security\users.
sys.configurations missing 'backup compression default'
We have a SQL 2008 database with compatibility level set to 80. I don't know if this is the cause...
need script to set Port number
- need script to set Port number .
windows cluster ip Configuration.
- hello experts,
i want to configure cluster in my laptop (8GB RAM, i7, 1 TB disk), so i have installed VMware...
- with out witness server can we set up mirroring?
Setting Notification email (When the job fails)
- Hi Everyone,
I have setup a job(SQLS ERVER 2008 R2) in two servers Server1.Domain1 & Server1.Domain2 and I have enabled notification email...
VB script error
I am trying to upgrade an SSIS package to 2008. The package includes a Script task editor with the following...
Fantasy football 2012
- Only 2.5 short months to football, can you believe it? I'm not ready, hardly feels like it's summer time yet.
- Okay, a topic that has NOTHING to do with SQL . . .
Came across [url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic447796-4-1.aspx]this link[/url] describing the SSC point scoring descriptions,...
Today's Random Word!
When you woke up today, or logged-onto Opera Forums, you may have had a dream, a thought, a scene...
Are the posted questions getting worse?
- Is it me, or are the posted questions getting worse these days?
I just read a post by someone apparently in...
my dataset not showing any columns
- HI all i am trying to create a report with data from a stored procedure, i created a stored procedure...
Eliminating empty output files in SSRS subscription
- I have a report with a subscription in SSRS. This subscription post by mail a pdf file.
When i have an...
Restrict Date Parameter
Is there any way i can restrict calendar ( Parameter )to go back 1/11/2012. You can't choose date before 1st Nov,...
Generate one PDF per record
- Hi all,
I've built a report which displays data from a db. This works fine, rendering the report correctly.
My query returns...
Forward Dependencies are not valid.
I am working on reports from our HR system that allow a manager to only see their own direct reports...
format date within reporting services
- I need to display a date in uk format without the time portion. My report runs from a AS cube...
Lots of Key Lookups vs. UniqueIdentifier Clustered Index
I'm working on a system that was originally designed with UUID (uniqueIdentifier) clustered indexes.
Later the clustered indexes were rebuilt on...
Best Way to Migrate Data from Different DB SQL Servers
- have data like the following:
PK Desc InsertedByUserID UpdatedByUserID
1 Johnny 13 90
2 Frankie 34 75
SSIS Flat File Destination Formatting to add a carriage return
- I have an SSIS package I am building. The result is a flat file created from a sql query that...
error when creating SSIS Packages
i have a task to develop SSIS packages, i've installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer and installed Intergration Services but...
(Rebuild index) or (drop and recreate index)after ETL Fact Load
(Rebuild index after the fact load completed) or (drop index before load starts and recreate index after fact Load ends)...
SSAS front end tools
I built a dimensional model with the fact and dim tables populated and created a cube using SSAS 2008.
How can I unencrypted a stored procedure
- I got few stored procedures With Encryption for the database that I converted to SQL Server 2000. I need to...