Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

No, I do not provide childcare at my technology events... Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:08 AM
While I agree that women and men are different in many ways, I think they both possess the same abilities to learn and perform.

However, I have to mention that having this topic continually brought up is what really keeps the separation in the forefront of minds, and it drives me crazy. Attending the Women in Technology luncheon at PASS in 2008 utterly offended me. Especially when one woman commented that Sarah Palin shouldn't be running for VP because she has children, including a disabled child. Don't any of the men in politics also have children, and why aren't they expected to stay home and take care of them?

By participating in events such as this, I feel that women are fueling their own lack of self confidence issues - and because it's essentially thrown into mens' faces, how are they not to treat us differently, when we are practically demanding it?!?!
If women want to feel and be treated the same, why do they want to point out their differences? Why isn't there a "Men in Technology" group as well?
Post #998424
Posted Tuesday, October 5, 2010 8:46 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:16 PM
I agree with the author that we need to "teach the next generation their worth regardless of gender" because its not only women that have feelings of inferiority. It is more prevalent in women yes, but I'm sure there's a percentage of men that have the same feelings. What I don't agree with is her view that if you're not supported at home then its your own fault. That for me, is too black and white. One partner can give support in their own way, but it isn't the support 'desired' by the other partner.

Just as how there are women that like to whine and complain, there are men who do the same. I think men and women could learn from each others' strengths and weaknesses. Women could be more forceful when the situation calls for it and men could be a bit softer when the need arises, but its knowing when that's important.
Post #998425
Posted Tuesday, October 5, 2010 8:54 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 2:17 PM
Dizzy Desi (10/5/2010)
While I agree that women and men are different in many ways, I think they both possess the same abilities to learn and perform.

However, I have to mention that having this topic continually brought up is what really keeps the separation in the forefront of minds, and it drives me crazy. Attending the Women in Technology luncheon at PASS in 2008 utterly offended me. Especially when one woman commented that Sarah Palin shouldn't be running for VP because she has children, including a disabled child. Don't any of the men in politics also have children, and why aren't they expected to stay home and take care of them?

By participating in events such as this, I feel that women are fueling their own lack of self confidence issues - and because it's essentially thrown into mens' faces, how are they not to treat us differently, when we are practically demanding it?!?!
If women want to feel and be treated the same, why do they want to point out their differences? Why isn't there a "Men in Technology" group as well?

It is frustrating and I personally don't like dwelling on the differences but somehow I believe we need to create a better mix and increase the number of women in IT. Not sure how we do that without some discussion.

Post #998440
Posted Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:04 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:11 PM
Dizzy Desi (10/5/2010)

I think that's a crap attitude from someone that doesn't see an issue. Should women have not banded together to talk about the right to vote? Should blacks have not made an issue because they had "separate but equal" facilities?

Women band together because they're the minority in this business. They are paid less for no good reason other than men's view that they are worth less, or that men can get away with paying less. They are harassed, treated like objects, and disrespected. Pay attention to how men talk about women when they're not there and you might start to understand why this is an issue.

It's easy to dismiss when you're the majority and don't face these issues.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #998453
Posted Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:08 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:00 PM
Dizzy Desi (10/5/2010)
Why isn't there a "Men in Technology" group as well?

Because the men doing it would be sued for discrimination against women, that's why.
Post #998459
Posted Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:09 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, December 16, 2013 10:42 AM
Dizzy Desi (10/5/2010)

I couldn't agree more. It's quite ironic when someone tries to build equality through constantly recognizing differences or making many sets of standards for the same overall set of people. It's actually quite comical because the fallacy is so obvious.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My SQL Server Blog
Post #998461
Posted Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:11 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 1:47 PM
Steve,
The danger in that thinking is that it was men and women that gave women the right to vote. There were black and white folks marching to end segregation. Both of those issues are moral issues that affect everyone. That is what makes this discussion important. The good managers are successful because they do see the differences in EVERYONE and makes the most use of them. People are different. Period. Lets not get out of hand here.
Post #998469
Posted Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:12 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:00 PM
The only true solution is "Equality until it hurts."

Post #998470
Posted Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:18 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:11 PM
craig.cannon (10/5/2010)
Steve,
The danger in that thinking is that it was men and women that gave women the right to vote. There were black and white folks marching to end segregation. Both of those issues are moral issues that affect everyone. That is what makes this discussion important. The good managers are successful because they do see the differences in EVERYONE and makes the most use of them. People are different. Period. Lets not get out of hand here.

It was a variety of people that made the change. However there was substantial opposition from many people, lots of whom were in power. The same with race. This is, IMHO, the evolution of those issues. We have to learn to work together.

We need to not dismiss this issue, or other issues we have because we don't have experience with them. I'm not a women, and I don't get discriminated against for that reason. But I do see that there is an issue here.

We should all be treated differently. To view us all as "the same" is not reality, and it's what has led to "human resources" and interchangeable parts, but that's not what people are. We are all different.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #998482
Posted Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:20 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 4:32 AM
david_wendelken (10/5/2010)
Dizzy Desi (10/5/2010)
Why isn't there a "Men in Technology" group as well?

Because the men doing it would be sued for discrimination against women, that's why.

haha, have to agree...

My opinion is that inequality (not just gender specific) will be around until people stop trying to force the issue. It is the same with the race arguments (having experienced this 1st hand growing up in South Africa). Rules are brought in to fix the problem, but just end up reversing the situation and making things worse.

My philosophy, treat people how I expect to be treated - nice and simple
Post #998487
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse