Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

After Restoring MSBD perform the following two steps Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 20, 2010 11:31 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:06 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item After Restoring MSBD perform the following two steps
Post #989944
Posted Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 21, 2012 7:22 AM
You might want to fix the title to say MSDB instead of MSBD....
Post #990139
Posted Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:22 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:06 AM
Oh!!! thanks Jay Zach. now updated msdb..
Post #990905
Posted Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:30 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:12 AM
Something else you may need to do when moving system databases to a different server is to restore the Service Master Key, the password for which should be kept in a secure location, preferably not on the SQL Server box.
Any encrypted data and objects will have been encrypted using the Service Master Key on the old server and because the Service Master Key is automatically generated when SQL Server is installed, there will be a mismatch between the current Service Master Key and the old one. This prevents, for example, Replication from being enabled because the system cannot create a Linked Server.
It is therefore necessary to restore the old instance’s Service Master Key from a backup. If no backup of the old Service Master Key exists, as long as the old instance is still available a backup can be taken there:
USE master;
GO

BACKUP SERVICE MASTER KEY TO FILE = 'C:\My_backup_location\My_server_name_service_master_key.bak'
ENCRYPTION BY PASSWORD = <password>
GO

To restore the Service Master Key use:
RESTORE SERVICE MASTER KEY FROM FILE = 'C:\My_backup_location\My_server_name_service_master_key.bak'
DECRYPTION BY PASSWORD = <password> FORCE --where <password> is the one used for encryption
GO

Regards
Lempster
Post #994244
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse