Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Compare published reports Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 20, 2010 4:37 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:14 AM
Im not sure if there is a specific tool available or if there is a good way to go about doing this.

We are trying to clean up the reports we have on our live server compared with the reports we have checked into our source control.

The movement of reports to suit the folders users required their reports to be in have changed slowly over time and with 100s of reports to check, i wanted a relaviely easy way to check that the reports we have in source control , match the reports we have on our live system.

My Thought was to clean our test Report Server of all reports and then upload all the reports contained in source control...

But then what I need to be able to do is identify which reports are different
Is there a good tool available for this comparrioson, (obviously its not just the report name and location that may have changed, the rdl may also have changed and a developer may not have checked a report in after updating it)

Any good ideas ?

Post #989238
Posted Monday, September 20, 2010 6:40 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Declare @LiveRS Table (
RDL varchar(MAX),
CompletePath nvarchar(max)
)

Insert Into @LiveRS

select convert(varchar(max), convert(varbinary(max), content)) [RDL],Path + Name [CompletePath]
from [TEST].[Reportserver].[dbo].catalog
where content is not null

Declare @SourceControlRS Table (RDL varchar(max),
CompletePath nvarchar(max))

Insert Into @SourceControlRS

select convert(varchar(max), convert(varbinary(max), content)) [RDL],Path + Name [CompletePath]
from [LIVE].[Reportserver].[dbo].catalog
where content is not null

Select SC.CompletePath [Source Control Path], RS.CompletePath [Live Server Path],case
When SC.RDL = RS.RDL Then 'Match'
Else 'RDLs different'
End [RDL Match],
Case
When SC.CompletePath = RS.CompletePath Then 'Match'
Else 'Paths Different'
End [Path Match]

From @LiveRS RS
Full Outer join @SourceControlRS SC on SC.CompletePath = RS.CompletePath

that should work shouldn't it?

Post #989306
Posted Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:29 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:05 AM
I'd suggest you check out the RS Scripter available here. One of the options of this tool is to download the reports from your live server to a solution file complete with .rdls and such. Then you should be able to use your differencing tools (VSS has some built in but there are plenty of others out there, most likely your source control solution does as well) to check the downloaded solution with that already checked into source control.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this

For better help with performance problems please read this
Post #990440
Posted Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:47 AM
SSC Veteran

HA! when I was first tasked with this I looked at RS Scripter , but I didn't know you could generate the entire solution

Much Appreciated!

Post #991012
Posted Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:57 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:05 AM
The only thing to note is you should pay attention to what settings you set when you download the reports and create the solution. For example, if you upload a report to SSRS with a defaulted parameter, then decide to change the default but only change it via Report manager, depending on what options you choose with the RS scripter it will either grab the original default or the modified default. Just something to be aware of. Read the manual for more information.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this

For better help with performance problems please read this
Post #991976
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse