Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Error backup database: nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file ... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 20, 2010 2:09 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:36 PM
Hi all,

I have installed SQL Server 2008 Std Edition in Cluster on Windows 2008 R2.

I have a maintenance plan that daily are doing user databases backup, but last night the execution of this plan has failed.

The job of the maintenance plan show me the next error messages:

"...
Description: Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [MyDatabase] TO DISK = N'E:\MyDatabase.bak" failed with the following error: "A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "E:\MyDatabase.bak:" 112(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15100). BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly... "

Also in the SQL Server log I can see the following errors:

"
Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

Extend Disk Backup: failure on backup device 'E:\MyDatabase.bak'. Operating system error 112(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15100).

Error: 18210, Severity: 16, State: 1.
".

I have been searching but can not see what was the possible problem.

Any suggestion?

Many thanks in advance.

Post #989163
Posted Monday, September 20, 2010 3:51 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:16 AM
Hi

Try DBCC checkdb
And be sure Is manual backup is passible on database?
And Is the backup Plan was Ok earlier?

Ali
MCTS SQL Server2k8
Post #989203
Posted Monday, September 20, 2010 3:55 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 12:45 AM
have you tried to change the backup location to some other drive or the drive where you already taking the daily backup.

----------
Ashish
Post #989204
Posted Monday, September 20, 2010 4:06 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:57 PM
A quick google search reveals that Operating system error 112 means "There is not enough space on the disk.". Hence I would guess that there isn't enough space for the backup whereever you're trying to write it.

Free up some space or take the backup somewhere else.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #989212
Posted Monday, September 20, 2010 4:35 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 12:36 PM
Hi,

I have reviewed all logs and effectively when the error occurred backup disk was full.

I've freed up space and everything works fine.

Thank you very much Ali, ashish and Gila.
Post #989234
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 10:01 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:35 PM
Sql Maintainance plan which takes Full backups of 6 databases is failing with the following error:
Error Number: -1073548784
----------------------
Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [DatabaseName] TO DISK = N'\\\\BackupLocation" failed with the following error: "Write on "\\\\backuplocation\DatabaseName.bak" failed: 112(There is not enough space on the disk.)
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
10 percent processed.
20 percent processed.
30 percent processed.
40 percent processed.
50 percent processed.
60 percent processed.
70 percent processed.
80 percent processed.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.-
-----------------------
The backup job runs every day and it failed yesterday. All the othere databases in the package ran successfully taking the backup.(Backups files are valid.) The backup file of this database is usually comes around 55gb and when this job ran there was enough space of >150gb. Backups are saved on Local server connection.Today the backup file came to 56 gb and the job was successful today.
Any reasons why did the job failed?
Post #1409630
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:02 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 11:49 AM
Beginner_2008 (1/21/2013)
Sql Maintainance plan which takes Full backups of 6 databases is failing with the following error:
Error Number: -1073548784
----------------------
Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [DatabaseName] TO DISK = N'\\\\BackupLocation" failed with the following error: "Write on "\\\\backuplocation\DatabaseName.bak" failed: 112(There is not enough space on the disk.)
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
10 percent processed.
20 percent processed.
30 percent processed.
40 percent processed.
50 percent processed.
60 percent processed.
70 percent processed.
80 percent processed.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.-
-----------------------
The backup job runs every day and it failed yesterday. All the othere databases in the package ran successfully taking the backup.(Backups files are valid.) The backup file of this database is usually comes around 55gb and when this job ran there was enough space of >150gb. Backups are saved on Local server connection.Today the backup file came to 56 gb and the job was successful today.
Any reasons why did the job failed?

There is a subtle clue in the error message.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me
Post #1409885
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:42 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:35 PM
There is enough space for backup file. Disk has 150gb where backup file comes around 56gb.
Any clues?
Post #1410040
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse