Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Enjoy Your Job Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:11 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:29 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Enjoy Your Job

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #982754
Posted Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:53 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:31 PM
Amen, brother!

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #982765
Posted Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:39 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 8:38 AM
You bet. That's one of the reasons I moved to New Zealand.
Post #982791
Posted Thursday, September 09, 2010 2:57 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:50 AM
Tis why I quit my job and went Freelance, money not as steady but at least my sanity is.
Post #982916
Posted Thursday, September 09, 2010 5:31 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 5:42 AM
In the article, you mentioned in "...I picked jobs that would be good for me growth and development, would pay me more, or provide some exciting challenge. I was willing to put up with long hours, or lots of demands from the company. I even took jobs with people that I didn't like, or wouldn't bother to ever socialize with...". The first sentence still sounds like it would be worth using as a job requirement. What do YOU (I know it differs for everyone) now use as measures of a job that you would find enjoyable? Just wondering.

Thanks...Chris
Post #982992
Posted Thursday, September 09, 2010 5:59 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:09 AM
Whether you're permy or contracting, it seems to me that the three KPIs affecting happiness at work are money, people, and the actual work you're doing.
All three and you're onto a winner. Don't tell a soul, they will want your job.
Two - probably most of us - and you're happy enough but open (vulnerable?) to better offers.
Only one and you're probably not going to stick around.
It's not as simple as this though, the job climate has a profound effect on how we perceive our jobs. If work is thin on the ground I'll do practically anything as long as it's legal, doesn't hurt and doesn't smell.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #983014
Posted Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:14 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:12 AM
I'd add location as a 4th item to Chris's list of 3. You can have the best job in the world, but if you hate where you live you'll always be looking for a chance to move someplace else. I currently "work" for a non-profit and I don't do it for money, the people are nice, the work isn't really great, and the location is 1500 miles from where my wife would like to live. We made this choice because we believe in what the organization does. It isn't a job it is a ministry for us. Does that mean we'll never leave it, no. Does that mean I want to get up and go to the office every day, no.

At the end of the day I want to see that my work is having an impact and if it isn't then that is when I am looking to move on.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #983025
Posted Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:22 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:09 AM
Jack Corbett (9/9/2010)
...At the end of the day I want to see that my work is having an impact and if it isn't then that is when I am looking to move on.

That's the statement of a true professional.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #983030
Posted Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:38 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 2:16 PM
I have stayed at jobs for a considerable time because I found a pretty high level of satisfaction there, even though the pay was pretty poor.

Do what fits your life, brings you fulfillment and a sense of purpose and everything else should fall in line.
Post #983042
Posted Thursday, September 09, 2010 7:14 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, September 27, 2010 7:51 AM
I couldn't agree more! But I guess I'm wondering how a person finds a job that they can really enjoy. Looking for a job is a lot like buying a used car - you don't really know what you are getting yourself in to. At least that's been my expereinces the last few years.
Post #983060
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse