Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Inside the Optimizer: Constructing a Plan - Part 1 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:51 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:49 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll look forward to the next articles. Hope you're alright down there (). I can see it has been a bit shaky in Christchurch some 350km away.
Post #982217
Posted Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:43 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:58 AM
hrc_public (9/8/2010)
Hope you're alright down there (). I can see it has been a bit shaky in Christchurch some 350km away.

Yes we're fine - ChCh is going to need a bit of work though. All very sad.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #982240
Posted Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:45 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 2:39 AM
It's amazing how you 'uncomplicate' things. That's what I like the most about your posts.

I saw Jeff's mention that rules should be enabled only on a test server. Does it mean that the improvements, that you make to queries this way, cannot be used in a real-world scenario?

Thanks for the links

- arjun
Post #982242
Posted Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:46 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Jeff Moden (9/8/2010)
I also recommend keeping track of the parts of the series... when you read part 4, you'll be itching to start from the beginning again.

I'll try to remember to include direct links to the previous parts in the opening comment of the discussion thread. That said, Steve is normally pretty good about adding links to previous parts to the article text too, so I'll check that first.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #982244
Posted Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:55 AM

SSChampion

Arjun Sivadasan (9/8/2010)
I saw Jeff mention that rules should be enabled only on a test server. Does it mean that the improvements, that you make to queries this way, cannot be used in a real-world scenario?

Nope, the optimizer normally produces a very good plan by using all of the rules.

What I am doing in this first part, is showing you what horrible plans can be produced if we prevent the optimizer from using all of its tricks.

The point is to show the process the optimizer goes through when searching for a great query plan.

Part 2 will be published in a few hours. In fact it's already an hour late in my time zone

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #982253
Posted Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:03 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 2:39 AM
Paul White NZ (9/8/2010)
What I am doing in this first part, is showing you what horrible plans can be produced if we prevent the optimizer from using all of its tricks.
The point is to show the process the optimizer goes through when searching for a great query plan.

Okay, I get it now. BTW 'mention' can also be used as a noun, so Jeff's mention is grammatically correct. :D

- arjun
Post #982263
Posted Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:24 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:18 AM
Me likes :)
Post #982277
Posted Thursday, September 9, 2010 4:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 10, 2010 2:07 AM
+
Post #982947
Posted Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:51 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:32 PM
Paul,

I knew you were in rarefied air when a Google search on 'NormalizeGbAgg SQL' returned 36 results and Bing returned 2 - both yours!

10 Star article

Doug
Post #983089
Posted Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:42 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 4:09 PM
Nice article - good to see it published at SSC.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #983169
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse