Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Please don’t Tweet this, but… Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:47 PM
There's a Chinese proverb I've always liked for my own self-censorship:
"You want no one to know it?... Then don't do it."

Post #981096
Posted Monday, September 6, 2010 10:55 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:50 PM
niall.baird (9/5/2010)
Being possibly the only person in the universe that doesn't have a twitter account, a facebook page, a myspace page or anything else like that (other than a linkedin page), I had actually not thought about this at all.

Nah... you're not alone there although I'm always conscious of those things and the impact they can have.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #981194
Posted Monday, September 6, 2010 1:44 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:09 AM
niall.baird (9/5/2010)
Being possibly the only person in the universe that doesn't have a twitter account, a facebook page, a myspace page or anything else like that (other than a linkedin page)

You are definitely not alone ...

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #981231
Posted Monday, September 6, 2010 3:44 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:33 PM
Without trying to derail the editorial, I really did think my wife and I were pretty much alone in the non-facebook (etc) world. Family and friends are always telling us that we "need" to get onto Facebook, but I really don't see the point. After spending 8-10 hours per day on the computer, coding my little heart out, I just don't want to spend the extra time updating everyone on what I had for lunch and what time I went to the toilet!!!!

Seriously, facebookers, your lives are not that interesting.
Post #981254
Posted Monday, September 6, 2010 8:37 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:09 AM
That's not why I don't get on those sites. I'm one of those folks that are absolutely paranoid about protecting my personal identity... and all of those social networking sites are not exactly on the up-and-up in protecting my identity, so I don't go to them.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #981285
Posted Monday, September 6, 2010 8:45 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:33 PM
Good point
Post #981288
Posted Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:21 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 11:04 AM
It's really just the old game with somewhat different stakes.

You don't say publicly or to unknown individuals, any thing you wish to remain quiet. Politicians for years have used 'off the record' to reporters, sometimes this was respected, sometimes not. It's a matter of thinking before you speak.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #981556
Posted Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:12 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:10 PM
Same rule of thumb applies but the stakes are much higher. Be careful who you are speaking to; the tools for spreading gossip can be much more devestating these days.
Post #981641
Posted Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:22 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 8:30 AM
WayneS (9/6/2010)
That's not why I don't get on those sites. I'm one of those folks that are absolutely paranoid about protecting my personal identity... and all of those social networking sites are not exactly on the up-and-up in protecting my identity, so I don't go to them.

The sites themselves aren't the problem, it's how much the user decides to put out there for consumption. It's not hard to put in dummy data for profile and still make sure of the site/app.

=============================================================
/* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management
Post #981648
Posted Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:11 AM
I have two daughters in their 20s and my neighbor has two kids in their late teens. The issue is that today's youth don't fully understand privacy. With all of the social media out there and smart phones putting contacts at their 'fingertips', they are sharing everything immediately and all the time. Just look at Facebook - you can see people posting what they are doing from the moment they wake up until they go to sleep - 'just brushed my teeth, got rid of that dragon breath LOL'

This is the new 'open source' war. Back in the beginning, programmers felt that all software should be free and available to anyone who wanted it. They fought anyone who felt that software should be copyrighted and purchased. Today's youth are the same way, information should be free and available to any one at all times and it doesn't matter what that information is. There are no secrets with social media.

-SQLBill

Post #981657
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse