Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL replication best practices in Amazon Cloud Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:05 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 31, 2011 2:32 AM
hi All,
I am trying to setup a SQL replication on single point of failure in cloud environment (Amazon EC2).
I need some good tips and multiple options to do the same. As it is in the cloud environment every MB of data is a cost to the company.
So my question here is, how to take an efficent backups or setup replication for a high volume database in a cloud environment.

All kind of help and tips are appreaciated.

Thanks,
Srinath
Post #979274
Posted Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:57 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
Srinath Mohan (9/1/2010)
hi All,
I am trying to setup a SQL replication on single point of failure in cloud environment (Amazon EC2).
I need some good tips and multiple options to do the same. As it is in the cloud environment every MB of data is a cost to the company.
So my question here is, how to take an efficent backups or setup replication for a high volume database in a cloud environment.

The same way you do it when in co-location, managed hosting services or in-house hosting. Cloud is just a platform - SQL Server practices do not change based on underlying infrastructure.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #979720
Posted Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:55 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:44 PM
I stumbled upon this old thread while looking for some help with sql and cloud: Maybe someone is still watching? I'm currently looking into cloud solutions for mysql, and I found this sql cloud platform. Even though you say replication should be the same, I am still encountering some difficulties. Are there any inherent differenced I need to take into account when going from remote to cloud? Would the replication process be much slower in this sort of environment? Thanks, M
Post #1168299
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse