Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

Learning Oracle Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:50 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:09 AM
WayneS (10/14/2010)
If you look at these two posts, especially the signature, and that these are the only posts ever from this poster, they feel more like spam for their kitchen cabinets.

harrifolfenced (10/13/2010)
what are advantages of oracle over sql
harrifolfenced (10/13/2010)
thanks for above links i also solved my stored procedure code

LOL - I reported this already. But you know what, in this case it produced some pretty decent discussion.

How about that. Even the spam on this site is helpful.

Random Technical Stuff
Post #1004315
Posted Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:44 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 11:21 AM
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (10/13/2010)
Eric Russell 13013 (10/13/2010)
On the other hand, SQL Server is newer ...

Always remember SQL Server carries Sybase genes; don't look at SQL Server 4.0 as SQL Server date of birth

You're correct, but at least SQL Server will prune the dead branches from it's family tree from time to time. Microsoft has always been much more adaptable than it's competitors, even if a large percentage of their customers were drug along kicking and screaming, but in the end they've proven to be wise risk takers.
Post #1004380
Posted Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:53 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 11:21 AM
nick.mcdermaid (10/14/2010)
Here are my thoughts after going from many years SQL Server to an extended project in Oracle:

I certainly found a lot of things in Oracle quite 'alien' to me and was initially very resistant and cynical.(particularly having to use a third party tool to develop - TOAD which I think has a user interface like a car accident).

The poster who mentioned that Oracle has loads of baggage is really on the money. MS can now sit back and emulate all the good parts of Oracle without having to take on the baggage!
In summary, you'd be well served to jump the hurdle and get some experience to make an informed judgement about the two different platforms.

PS at a current client we indeed have what seems to be a political decision to move from Oracle to SQL Server.

I use the SQL Developer tool provided by Oracle, and for day to day development, it's good enough, however TOAD obviously has more functionality and better DBA and performace monitoring features. I developed entirely in SQL Server for several years and for the past two years or so have been splitting my time between several smaller sized SQL Server projects and a large Oracle 11g data warehouse. When it comes to just writing SQL queries, the two platforms are very similar, and a developer new to Oracle may at first be overwhelmed by all the thick books and tend to overestimate the number differences. However, it's also easy to underestimate how frustrating those minor differences can be when you find yourself in a jam. I can recall early on how I would be sitting with my laptop in a project status meeting, answering questions about the data model and performing ad-hoc query requests. My screen would be displayed on a projector, and I'd be fumbling with the syntax of a fairly complicated Oracle SQL statement while management and business analysts patiently sat by watching. Fortunately those awkward first few months are behind me, and I'm now about equally proficient with both SQL Server and Oracle, at least in terms of SQL. Now in terms of PL/SQL vs T-SQL, database administration and architecture, there are more significant differences between SQL Server and Oracle and a more significant learning curve.
Post #1004389
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:33 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
I'm impressed with Oracle packages as they almost seem like classes to me
-Variables which 'reflect' existing table meta data
-Custom data types
-Multiple 'methods' within the package all returning different types

...and you are absolutely correct.

Are you old enough to remember Ada - the programming language? packages come from there.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1005608
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:55 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 9:53 PM
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (10/15/2010)
-Custom data types

Are you old enough to remember Ada - the programming language? packages come from there.

I remember ADA, took a couple of courses that used it in college? I may still have the books some where at home.

Does the language still live or has it gone the way of the dinosaur?

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1005617
Posted Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:04 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Lynn Pettis (10/15/2010)
-Custom data types

I remember ADA, took a couple of courses that used it in college? I may still have the books some where at home.

That's a very good question indeed
Just checked Monter and guess what? There are job opennings mentioning Ada skills/experience as requisites - go figure

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1005709
Posted Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:00 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 11:28 AM
Lynn Pettis (10/15/2010)
-Custom data types

You guys are aging yourselves... I'm kinda old, and the only thing I remember about this is hearing about it!

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1005719
Posted Saturday, October 16, 2010 4:25 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 9:53 PM
WayneS (10/16/2010)
Lynn Pettis (10/15/2010)
-Custom data types

You guys are aging yourselves... I'm kinda old, and the only thing I remember about this is hearing about it!

Okay, how old do you think I am?

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1005792
Posted Sunday, October 17, 2010 7:51 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:00 PM
I've read about ADA but no I've never used it. C++ was the language of choice when I was at uni (engineering not computer science though)

You know its very interesting that:

1. Packages are based on a proper programming language - I knew there was something to it!
2. That it based on such a 'fundamental' (polite word for old!!!!) programming language. Again it highlights that Oracle has old roots. Which can be a good thing and a bad thing!

N
Post #1005964
Posted Monday, October 18, 2010 5:26 PM

Hall of Fame

WayneS (10/16/2010)
Lynn Pettis (10/15/2010)
-Custom data types

Nah... you are not "old" Wayne, I'm sure you are an "experienced" professional

In my case I'm "experienced" enough to still remember Ada but not "experienced" enough to have already forgotten all about it

Post #1006660
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse