Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Learning Oracle Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:09 PM
Found some resources, SQL Reference Guide for Oracle 10g. Guess what, Oracle actually has CTE's, they just don't call it that in the reference manual.

Having access to the reference manual is showing me that I can actually use some of the things I have learned here on SSC.

Still looking forward to seeing if I can push for moving toward SQL Server, but we'll have to wait and see.

Now, if they would just get me access to an instance of Oracle.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #978445
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:05 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:50 PM
I've downloaded a free copy of Oracle before (kind of like SQL Express). This is the link to their downloads.

Edit: and this is the link to the 10g free version.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #978450
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:08 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

WayneS (8/31/2010)
I've downloaded a free copy of Oracle before (kind of like SQL Express). This is the link to their downloads.

Thank you for the link Wayne. I may just have to download it and instal here at home. I can't load it at work, not allowed.

Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Post #978453
Posted Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:51 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
Lynn Pettis (8/31/2010)
Found some resources, SQL Reference Guide for Oracle 10g. Guess what, Oracle actually has CTE's, they just don't call it that in the reference manual.

Having access to the reference manual is showing me that I can actually use some of the things I have learned here on SSC.

Still looking forward to seeing if I can push for moving toward SQL Server, but we'll have to wait and see.

Way to go Lynn.

All Oracle documentation is free and public, if interested in Ora10g please check http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.all_books

In regards to licensing, Oracle is free for educational purposes so you can just go to Oracle and download a full version of it. If 10g is your target go for Ora10gR2

Having said that, I would personally go for Ora11g

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #980709
Posted Saturday, September 4, 2010 6:44 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 1:03 AM
Lynn Pettis (8/31/2010)
Guess what, Oracle actually has CTE's, they just don't call it that in the reference manual.

True enough. And search for WITH won't do it either. They call it "Subquery ReFactoring".

There will be so much more that you won't be able to apply. Try overwriting a variable using a pseudo-cursor. Try writing a set based trigger. And wait until you discover the joys of the UPDATE statement in Oracle... you need to get really, really good at using correlated subqueries to do any joined UPDATEs in Oracle. If you have a late enough version, forget all about using UPDATE and just jump straight to MERGE for doing updates even if you don't need to do an "upsert".

Heh... ask their Oracle DBA's about that. Of course, that's if you can get their attention on the subject. Most of the Oracle DBA's I've run across still think SQL Server is a toy to be ignored especially for "enterprise class applications". There are, of course, exceptions...

If you want to get good at it, you have to do the same thing that we've all done with SQL Server... get a DEV copy. However, when you install Oracle on a desktop, I'd make it a dedicated desktop. Besure to save all the original build disks you get with the computer, as well. You'll eventually need them to do a rebuild of the system (according to my small bit of experience in that area).

I have to ask... with as good as you were in SQL Server, why on Earth did you take an Oracle-centric position?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #980715
Posted Saturday, September 4, 2010 6:58 PM

SSC-Insane

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (9/4/2010)
Lynn Pettis (8/31/2010)

Way to go Lynn.

All Oracle documentation is free and public, if interested in Ora10g please check http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.all_books

In regards to licensing, Oracle is free for educational purposes so you can just go to Oracle and download a full version of it. If 10g is your target go for Ora10gR2

Having said that, I would personally go for Ora11g

I would, but I really should work with what we are using on the government contract. Depending on some of the other projects they may have work, I may try to bring in SQL Server. When working with moving data between databases (ETL), SSIS may come in handy. For one process there is currently over 60,000 lines of PL/SQL code. Unfortunately, I may not see that code for a while, as I believe it is proprietary to the subcontractor on that other project that is still in development.

Lynn Pettis

Post #980716
Posted Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 1:03 AM
What version is the government contract using, Lynn?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #980721
Posted Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:32 PM

SSC-Insane

We are using 8g and 10g. From what has been discussed, one of the databases will be moving from 8g to 10g. This is to eliminate duplicate data for the database. For development purposes on another project, a copy of the database was made in 10g. Since it was determined to would be easier to relink an Access front end from 8g to 10g rather than integrate the 10g databasse back to the 8g database, that is the direction we are going. At least then the two databases will be on the same server and integrated together in the new app that will replace the Access front end and a manual request process.

Lynn Pettis

Post #980722
Posted Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:35 PM

SSC-Insane

I can say that I know they are using MS SQL Server locally, unless someone has learned how to run SharePoint with an Oracle backend.

Lynn Pettis

Post #980724
Posted Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:04 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
Lynn Pettis (9/4/2010)
We are using 8g and 10g.

I assume you meant 8i. Oracle v8 is actually two very different animals - what we call 8 - a transitional version getting away from Oracle 7 basic concepts, then 8.1.7 which is the foundation of 9i.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #980791
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse