Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Salaries and Experience Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:05 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Salaries and Experience

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #977667
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:43 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:10 AM
Hi Steve,

Your lines below are very impressive and makes DBAs to think twice before they make decision weather to stick back to same role or change role to explore more/new.

"They could have one year of experience ten times, or ten different years of experience (or some combination). The point is that you should be continually expanding on your experiences, not just relying on skills you learned a long time ago.
"

- SAMJI
If you marry one they will fight with you, If you marry 2 they will fight for you
Post #977735
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Learning in life is a road that ends only when you die. The truly wise person listens along the way.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #977746
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:53 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 6:42 AM
-- ** Not SQL related... **--
I was surprised to hear you played rugby?! Have even more respect for you now

What's this "backup strategy" everyone is on about?

Post #977797
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:53 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 6:25 AM
I was once told by an HR person that competitor's salaries for IT had been reviewed and our company was well within the salary range. Nearly the entire IT staff jumped from that sinking ship, many DOUBLING their salaries.

The "particular company" comment is dead-on.
Post #977852
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:55 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
Too bad salaries have stagnated over the last 10 years. I see DBA jobs advertised at the same pay - sometimes less - that what I was earning 10 years ago. I have increased my earning power by moving into higher-value areas (like BI). It's not good enough anymore to have 10 years of experience doing something. You have to take your experience, compound it with knowledge and soak it in strategy to earn a better salary.

James Stover, McDBA
Post #977854
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:21 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

mike.styers (8/31/2010)
I was once told by an HR person that competitor's salaries for IT had been reviewed and our company was well within the salary range. Nearly the entire IT staff jumped from that sinking ship, many DOUBLING their salaries.

The "particular company" comment is dead-on.

First off, always believe about half of what anyone from HR tells you. They have to push the companies agenda, so they are not always objective or truthful, to say the least. I liken most of them to glorified car salesmen. They will feed you a line just to get you to buy it and get you out of their office. Watch the movie Fargo.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #977880
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:57 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 6:25 AM
I just felt bad for the HR person trying to pitch the corporate lie which she clearly didn't believe either but needed to keep her job. To her credit, she did her best.
Post #977922
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:37 AM

Ten Centuries

mike.styers (8/31/2010)
I just felt bad for the HR person trying to pitch the corporate lie which she clearly didn't believe either but needed to keep her job. To her credit, she did her best.

Yep, know exactly what you mean, bro. They do have to be careful about how far they take corporate lies though. That's how lawsuits are born today. Just watch the news nowadays.

Post #977981
Posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:19 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:05 PM
TVR (8/31/2010)
-- ** Not SQL related... **--
I was surprised to hear you played rugby?! Have even more respect for you now

2 years in college. Started in the UK, played a bit of 2nd row and then dropped to the "B" team so I could get out of there. Moved to (overly large) scrum half).

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #978038
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse