Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

Why is data integrity important? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:36 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 7:04 AM
RalphWilson (9/1/2010)

Some time back, I successfully made the case for an organization to have a look up table for countries & states (if the country was the US) based upon having located rows indicating Oklahoma City was in something like 30 of the 50 states and at least 15 foreign countries. (I have strong reason to believe that, at the very least, "Oklahoma City, TX" was incorrect. )

I still remember when I discovered that Cook was a Country and that Chicago was a state.

Though my favorite country is still

Mr. Thomas Smith

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #978842
Posted Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:07 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:47 AM
rmechaber (8/31/2010)
I just spent 2 weeks(!!) cleaning up a lookup table in a third-party ERP application that allowed (and still allows, but for the now-rescinded, application level user permissions) free-form entry for states and countries.

Fun fact: the United States of America has 786 states within its borders, including China, Formosa, Bhopal, and Chicago.

Referential Integrity??? "We don't need no stinkin' referential integrity!!!"

Rich

Oh I feel your pain. We have a free-form "Occupation" field on one of our main Sales applications, so I've just spent weeks building a lookup table to make some sense of the thousands of mis-spelled and misleading entries.

My particular favourites are "HR Minger" - I can only assume they meant "HR Manager", and the eighteen different spellings of the word "Childminder".
Post #979627
Posted Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:41 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 7:07 AM
miki_home (9/2/2010)

Oh I feel your pain. We have a free-form "Occupation" field on one of our main Sales applications, so I've just spent weeks building a lookup table to make some sense of the thousands of mis-spelled and misleading entries.
My particular favourites are "HR Minger" - I can only assume they meant "HR Manager", and the eighteen different spellings of the word "Childminder".

For some classifications, like occupation or geographic region for example, there are standard coding schemes. After mapping and re-coding user entered free form descriptions to the standard coding, then there are more possibilities for doing stuff like cross referencing sales data with 3rd party marketing databases.
http://www.bls.gov/soc/
Post #979661
Posted Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:12 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:13 AM
Hi All,

Is there any 3rd party tool or something to check the integrity of the existing data in SQL Server.
I am using SQL Server 2008. Something similar to DBSanity :http://databene.org/dbsanity
Please suggest.
Post #1367564
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse